so my all-time top 3 has to be revised to for...

SoundMaster

Jan 20, 2002
"the flower & willow world"
Visit site
...for the inclusion of Jethro Tull. This band is that good. In my view, their work over the years has been more consistenly good, err....great, than any other band. Not Maiden, not AC/DC, not Priest, etc.

They're clearly in league with the aforementioned icons, as well as with (my) gods Zeppelin, Sabbath, Purple and the Stones.

All time fab bands (revised):
Led Zep 1
Jethro Tull 2
Maiden 3
Purple 4
Sabbath 5
Glenn Hughes 6
Priest 7
Stones 8
My Dying Bride 9

SoundMaster said:
...for the inclusion of Jethro Tull. This band is that good. In my view, their work over the years has been more consistenly good, err....great, than any other band. Not Maiden, not AC/DC, not Priest, etc.

They're clearly in league with the aforementioned icons, as well as with (my) gods Zeppelin, Sabbath, Purple and the Stones.

All time fab bands (revised):
Led Zep 1
Jethro Tull 2
Maiden 3
Purple 4
Sabbath 5
Glenn Hughes 6
Priest 7
Stones 8
My Dying Bride 9

Great list. Number nine is an oddball in your list, but nothing wrong with that. My "homebase" messageboard is here at oldschool, but Vanden Plas is heavily cemented as my favorite band since their latest release especially.

Bryant

Bitchin', and you know I agree on the Tull for sure. Everything from their first up through Stormwatch is just plain strangely good and consistent. I'd have to think on a top 10, but my top 6 is pretty damned close to yours, with a couple of exceptions.

1. Grateful Dead
2. Jethro Tull (and it took a lot to surpass Zeppelin)
3. Led Zeppelin
4. Iron Maiden
5. Black Sabbath
6. Dead Can Dance

There are some honorable mentions too, like Tool, Opeth and some others. But Tool just hasn't put out enough albums, and Opeth still needs to show me what they can do, great as they may be. That is, Mikael's songs are all fantastic, but I'd like to see if they can live through more of a stylistic change. They can't just make My Arms Your Hearse over and over (though admittedly better and better!) The Mars Volta could make it, but again too soon to say. I think their albums are marvelous though. Nevermore....maybe them too. And of course there are the standbys like Purple. I just have to decide where they go in the list.....but they will make the top 10.

After that it gets hazy, but these are the bands I love the most owing to just plain greatness, but definately consistency of output is a big point. The Dead don't really have many great studio albums, frankly. But the live stuff (which is more widely available than any band) is great throughout the years, with lots of interesting periods and eras. There's no question they are my #1. And funny on the Tull thing, since they really are a fairly recent discovery of mine as well, and they so quickly shot into my second spot.

I'll think on the rest of my list, but I'd be interested in seeing other people's lists (and hearing their rationals for them).

Last, I went through a BIG Stones phase. For me there are just some patchy areas. Still everything from Beggar's Banquet to Exile is fantastic (plus other greats here and there). I'd say the same about Bob Dylan, who I've probably seen live more than any other performer. Anyway, his overall output is STUNNING, amazing really. But he's got pretty big gaps where he just did shyte for awhile. His greatness may outdo Maiden's greatness, for instance, but Maiden has done less bad stuff than him, if that makes sense.

Hmmm. I don't think I could make a top ten bands list. For me, it's much more about favorite albums rather than favorite bands. I'm not a collector so there are very few veteran bands whose whole catalogue is represented on my cd shelves.

That said, there are three bands who dominate my classics collection so I guess they'd be my top three bands:

Savatage
Sabbath
Blue Oyster Cult

All other bands like Priest and Maiden with an extended discography are hit and miss for me. I've got the albums I like best and feel no need to buy the ones that are just "okay".

hehehe been a while since we did a top 10 ... Here is my most recent top 10

Overkill
Savatage
Manticora
Dreamscape
Borknagar/Vintersorg
Morbid Angel
Wuthering Heights
The Rolling Stones
Galactic Cowboys
Morgana Lefay

I have my Staple Bands (Overkill and Sava), but the rest of the of the bands tend to rotate alot.

There are many newer bands who *may* ascend to the top one day, but as Wiz stated, limited catalogues (compared to the icons) really hampers them.

And good point concerning Opeth: unless they mix it up a bit - and soon - they run the risk of losing all momentum. I'd like to see a complete drop of the death vocals (although I do enjoy them, they do limit the band) and more varied instrumentation. Let's look them up after 3 more releases and see where they stand.

As for the Stones, i do agree that they're had a very spotty catalogue. But the period from '68 to '73 is, IMO, godly. So on that strength alone, they always rank well for me.

Dead Can Dance is right there....probably top 15, along with Queensryche, Katatonia, the Gathering, Pink Floyd & Porcupine Tree.

JonnyD said:
I have my Staple Bands (Overkill and Sava), but the rest of the of the bands tend to rotate alot.
Yeah, I was speaking in staple bands only, which I consider only the veterans who have extended discography, like ten or more studio albums. Newer bands haven't been around long enough for me to know how they'll stack up in another ten years. Bands (or in my case, "albums") that I expect will be staples for me when I'm fifty:

Dead Soul Tribe - January Tree, Murder of Crows
Cage - Darker than Black
Mob Rules - Hallowed be they name, Among the Gods
Astral Doors - Of the Son and the Father
Iced Earth - Something Wicked, Burnt Offerings, Dark Saga
Ayreon - Human Equation, Final Experiment, Electric Castle
Orphaned Land - Mabool
Wuthering Heights - Far From a Madding Crowd
Lefay - Seventh Seal
Tad Morose - Matters of the Dark
Therion - Theli and anything after

The above albums I can speak of with confidence because they've been out long enough and I've got enough play time out of them to know they've got longevity and don't wear thin upon repeated listens. Anything released within the last year or so, the verdict is still out on. Time will tell.

NP: Red Circuit - Trance State

SoundMaster said:
And good point concerning Opeth: unless they mix it up a bit - and soon - they run the risk of losing all momentum. I'd like to see a complete drop of the death vocals (although I do enjoy them, they do limit the band) and more varied instrumentation. Let's look them up after 3 more releases and see where they stand.

Dead Can Dance is right there....probably top 15, along with Queensryche, Katatonia, the Gathering, Pink Floyd & Porcupine Tree.

Yeah, we'll see what happens with Opeth. They are really right on the borderline right now I think, but the new album actually speaks of possible change in my mind. Though they are going, in ways, in a Tool-ish direction which doesn't really work for them in my mind.

As to Dead Can Dance, there is really nothing they have I don't like. I went through all the phases of loving the old-school stuff, but I think Spiritchaser is actually my favorite now. I'm still thinking on the balance of my top 10.....but it's rounded out mostly with metal.

Ok my turn... First, all time top 3 would have to be:

1. KISS (always will be!)
2. Judas Priest (Halford on Vocals)
3. AC/DC (Infectious metal)

and to quote TSO
Bands (or in my case, "albums") that I expect will be staples for me when I'm fifty
which is all too soon my friend!
:erk:

in no particular order:

Sabaton - Primo Victoria
Icarus Witch - EP and LP
Wolf - Evil Star
HammerFall - Everything
Astral Doors - Evil is Forever

and I'm sure their will be a few more!

:headbang:

NP: AC/DC - For Those About to Rock... We Salute You!

Soundmaster, being the other big Tull devotee here, I'd be interested in hearing what have become your favorite songs and/or CDs.

Really it's too hard for me to say (in ways), which is what is so great about them of course. I guess in the end it's kind of a holistic thing for me. Still, of obsession of late are:

War Child / Stormwatch - both hidden masterpieces.

Heavy Horses - From this phase of their career I probably like Songs from the Wood a tad better, but this album sneaks up on you and knocks you over.

Thick as A Brick / Minstrel In The Gallery - Of course

And both the boxset and Nightcap are getting a lot of play with me. But really, I like it all and listen to Tull pretty much every day (as I have for some time). I still don't have Passion Play, kinda saving it - next couple of weeks for sure.

Songs are a more difficult choice, and I can't really do a list of favorites for sure, not definatively yet anyway, but a few that make my hair stand up of late are:

Critique Oblique - Nightcap
The Whistler - Songs from the Wood
One White Duck - Minstrel
Broadsword - Broadsword and the Beast
Thick as a Brick part II - specifically at 6:40 into the song
With You There To Help Me - Benefit
Witches Promise

And well, the list goes on and on. Isn't it bizarre how many good songs they have? Each one is different from the next too. Ian Anderson is a genius.

Also, if I may be so bold, let me suggest you revisit Broadsword from time to time. You might get surprised when it really hits you....

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
Three bands who dominate my classics collection so I guess they'd be my top three bands:

Savatage
Sabbath
Blue Oyster Cult
I need to add Styx to this list.

The recent re-release of the first four Wooden Nickel Recordings was one of my most listened to albums of last year. Styx has a ton of great albums like Pieces of Eight, Crystal Ball, Grand Illusion, Paradise Theater, Equinox. They had a really great stretch up until Mr. Roboto. Styx really should get more recognition for their contributions to the prog rock world.

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
Yeah, I was speaking in staple bands only, which I consider only the veterans who have extended discography, like ten or more studio albums. Newer bands haven't been around long enough for me to know how they'll stack up in another ten years. Bands (or in my case, "albums") that I expect will be staples for me when I'm fifty:

Tad Morose - Matters of the Dark

No doubt in my mind, twenty years from now, both "Modus Vivendi" and "Matters of the Dark" will still get an occasional spin from me. The Urban Breed TM split really was a blow. That band had the total package going on.

Bryant

Beatles
Black Sabbath
Opeth
Dead Kennedys
Nomeansno
Iron Maiden
Jimi Hendrix Experience
Pink Floyd
Metallica
Minor Threat

ElectricWiz said:
Soundmaster, being the other big Tull devotee here, I'd be interested in hearing what have become your favorite songs and/or CDs.

Really it's too hard for me to say (in ways), which is what is so great about them of course. I guess in the end it's kind of a holistic thing for me. Still, of obsession of late are:

War Child / Stormwatch - both hidden masterpieces.

Heavy Horses - From this phase of their career I probably like Songs from the Wood a tad better, but this album sneaks up on you and knocks you over.

Thick as A Brick / Minstrel In The Gallery - Of course

And both the boxset and Nightcap are getting a lot of play with me. But really, I like it all and listen to Tull pretty much every day (as I have for some time). I still don't have Passion Play, kinda saving it - next couple of weeks for sure.

Songs are a more difficult choice, and I can't really do a list of favorites for sure, not definatively yet anyway, but a few that make my hair stand up of late are:

Critique Oblique - Nightcap
The Whistler - Songs from the Wood
One White Duck - Minstrel
Broadsword - Broadsword and the Beast
Thick as a Brick part II - specifically at 6:40 into the song
With You There To Help Me - Benefit
Witches Promise

And well, the list goes on and on. Isn't it bizarre how many good songs they have? Each one is different from the next too. Ian Anderson is a genius.

Also, if I may be so bold, let me suggest you revisit Broadsword from time to time. You might get surprised when it really hits you....

Hey Wiz,

I missed this when you posted it (I was on vacation a few weeks back).

Anyway, this is hard being that Tull has so many awesome albums and songs and, from week to week, my favs have changed! As I see it, their output can be placed into different "eras", where one sound/style predominated.

To my ears, those are:
bluesy era (debut, Stand Up, Benefit)
stand alone (Aqualung, as this album was a bridge between the bluesy era and what came next...
prog era (Brick, Passion Play)
underrated era (for lack of a better term, with War, Minstrel & Too Old!)
'heavy wood' era (Songs from the Wood, Horses, Stormwatch)

Then, of course, the 80s and so on.

Of the aforementioned era, it's nearly impossible for me to choose, but I'd probably lean towards the "heavy wood" era! To my ears, those albums are the most representative of Tull, in general.....the great flute, the beautiful acoustic guitar, the progressive epic songs, the wonderful lyrcis which allow for deep introspection and contemplation! Truly an amazing, otherwordly band. And impossible for me to choose a fav track.

One note concerning Passion Play / Chateau d'Isaster Tapes: the majority of the Chateau album ending up being incorporated into Passion Play, so you'll immediately love PP being that you're already familiar with much of it!

As for Broadsword, I love the title track....some of the remainder is good, particularly the 'bonus tracks', but overall, the album isn't up to par with the 70s material. In fact, I think I might enjoy "Crest" a bit more. Much too "80s ish" in sound, but some strong songwriting.

Have you ever heard 1980's "A"? I've not yet heard any of it.

I did recently pick up 1995's "Roots To Branches" and totally love it! It's a throwback to the 'heavy wood' era! And, making it even stronger is the fact that Ian 'relearned' how to play the flute in the 90s, so it sounds much cleaner with less of his "voice" coming through (make sense?). Of course, his vocals have slipped a bit, but it's still an amazing record!

Now I need to venture out into his solo work!

rokk said:
Ok my turn... First, all time top 3 would have to be:

1. KISS (always will be!)
2. Judas Priest (Halford on Vocals)
3. AC/DC (Infectious metal)

Wow, that could be me, at least for Kiss and AC/DC. Instead of Priest maybe Iron Maiden or Stormwitch. But Priest at least on 5. :kickass:

Regarding Jethro Tull: saw Ian Anderson playing with Toto in 2002. Cool guy !