Check this s**t out!

alanbirdsell

That's gonna leave a mark
Dec 13, 2002
Spokane, WA
www.alanbirdsell.com
I just got an e-mail from someone who claims they are from Citi Bank. Here is a cut and paste of the e-mail. I wonder how many people will fall for this one :D (BTW, the return e-mail is to some place in Mexico) I can't wait to hear Smylex's commentary on this one ;)

Dear Citicards Card-holder,

This_ Letter was sent _by the Citibank_Online sevrer to
veerify _your_ e-mail addres.
You musst cetpomle this psceors by clicking on _the link
beloww and enntering in the smmall window your CITI_bank
Debit_ Card number and Card Pin that _you use in_the ATM Machine.
This is donne for_your pecrottion -4- because some of_our
memebrs no lgoenr have acecss to their email addsreess
and we must verify it.

To veerify _your E_MAIL adderss and _access_ your Citi-Card
account, klick on the_ link beloow.

I REMOVED THE LINK

qJhV7ci

When I worked for Earthlink, the customers were getting hit with very authentic looking emails asking pretty much the same stuff... and stuff that you don't need to start up an account... like SS#, Mother's Maiden Name, etc...
Best Buy and Ebay customer have also been hit... if anyone falls for that one Alan... yikes

:confused:

I've seen Babel Fish programs do a better job of translating this stuff. If anyone does fall for this kind of amateurish stupid shit, they deserve to lose their money for being that goddamn dumb! :mad:

Strange you posted this thread Alan, I've recently got some bizarre emails that could no doubt make some sort of screenplay in that they are just so out there. This wasn't a spam email (which I delete w/o opening) either, it was addressed to me. Below is one of them.

Dear friend,

I sincerely write to seek your co-operation and trust to enable my colleagues and I carry out an urgent business opportunity in my department.

I work with the Union Bank of Nigeria PLC: currently I am the senior manager of bills and exchange at the foreign remittance department of my bank. I was the account officer to one Mr. Ali B. Ashraf who died along with his family on the 8th of November 1999 in an ADC Boeing
727 plane crash at Egirin River. All 141 passengers on board were feared dead. He left in his domiciliary account the total sum of $15.5million Fifteen million five hundred thousand USA Dollars. Since the management got the information of his death we have been expecting any of his relation or his next of kin to come up and claim his money. Unfortunately from the day of
his death till the time of this letter none of his relation or friends has come up for the claim. The banking and financial law of Union bank of Nigeria Plc stipulates that if such fund remained unclaimed after a period of four (4) it will be transferred into the bank treasury as unclaimed bill.

On this discovery, I and two other senior staffs now decided do business with you and release the money to you as the next of kin to Ali B. Ashraf for safety and subsequent disbursement. I will soon proceed for my retirement leave this year, and I personally do not want this fund to
be transferred into the bank treasury as unclaimed bill.

That is why I wanted the fund to be move out of the bank before I proceed on my retirement.The need for a foreigner as next of kin in this project is occasioned by the fact that the customer Mr. Ali Ashraf was a foreigner and a Nigerian cannot stand as his next of kin or heir. We have agreed that 30% of the Fund would be for you as foreign partner; thereafter my colleague and I will visit your country for disbursement according to the percentagesindicated.

To enable the immediate transfer of the fund into your nominated account,you will first apply to the bank as the next of kin of the deceased,indicating your bank account number and location where in the money will be remitted. Upon receipt of your acknowledgement indicating your interest,I will send to you the text of the application that you will send to the Union Bank authority for an approval to submityour claims.

Send your reply through my direct and private email address.(email)
I will want you to send me your private and fax number for effective communication that this transaction needs.
Do not reply through the union bank email address because its belonged to thesenior staffs for public use.

Please note that you are not to appear in person, as every thing regarding his project will be strictly on documentations and every banking documents needed for this transaction will be taken care of by my self.

Looking forward to your urgent response.

Yours Faithfully,
BABA AHMEED

Like I'm going to trust a guy named BABA...? :erk:

ROTLD, I've received that same e-mail twice now. I'm thinking that the next time that I receive that e-mail, I'm going to give them the account number and PIN from my closed account at Bank Of America as well as my closed Hotmail address. :D

ROTLD said:
Strange you posted this thread Alan, I've recently got some bizarre emails that could no doubt make some sort of screenplay in that they are just so out there. This wasn't a spam email (which I delete w/o opening) either, it was addressed to me. Below is one of them.

I get this one now and again too. I read where some woman actually fell for this and lost several hundred thousand of dollars. The sad and not funny part is she was an investment counselor and it was her client's money she lost.

cycosuicide said:
Dude, if I were you, I would send a fake card number, and a fake PIN from a phony e-mail.
:Spin:
I wouldn't ever click on the link. That is one of the ways these pirates can sieze control of your computer. That link is much like a big ol' fish hook looking to catch some sucker.

ROTLD said:
Dear friend,

I sincerely write to seek your co-operation and trust to enable my colleagues and I carry out an urgent business opportunity in my department.

I work with the Union Bank of Nigeria PLC: currently I am the senior manager of bills and exchange at the foreign remittance department of my bank. I was the account officer to one Mr. Ali B. Ashraf who died along with his family on the 8th of November 1999 in an ADC Boeing
727 plane crash at Egirin River. All 141 passengers on board were feared dead. He left in his domiciliary account the total sum of $15.5million Fifteen million five hundred thousand USA Dollars. Since the management got the information of his death we have been expecting any of his relation or his next of kin to come up and claim his money. Unfortunately from the day of
his death till the time of this letter none of his relation or friends has come up for the claim. The banking and financial law of Union bank of Nigeria Plc stipulates that if such fund remained unclaimed after a period of four (4) it will be transferred into the bank treasury as unclaimed bill...

:Spam:

That's what's called a 419 scam, as that's the section of Nigerian law it violates. I've heard that this scam is so prevalent that it's procedes make up about a third of the GNP of Nigeria. I've gotten several similar emails myself. I've heard they also send snail mail.

Ahh yes, the 419. That scam is like 10 years old or better. One shop that I worked for got one of thier snail mails back in '94. There is a web site that someone has where they messed with them and set up a meeting somewhere in Europe. All the e-mails that went back and forth are posted up. Funny shit! I will try to find it again and post it up...

Jeff Milne said:
:Spam:

That's what's called a 419 scam, as that's the section of Nigerian law it violates. I've heard that this scam is so prevalent that it's procedes make up about a third of the GNP of Nigeria. I've gotten several similar emails myself. I've heard they also send snail mail.
A while ago I got the Christian variant of that.
The author claimed to be a terminally ill woman who had only recently accepted Christ and wanted her money (she claimed to have millions of dollars) to get into all sorts of social projects. The e-mail was also spiked with lots of quotes from the Bible and everything... ah well I guess I'll just copy and paste the text:

-----------------------------------------------------------

E-mail ******************

PLEASE ENDEAVOUR TO USED IT FOR THE CHILDREN OF GOD.

I am the above named person from Kuwait. I am married to Dr.***** ***** (...) before he died in the year 2000.We were married for eleven years without a child. He died after a brief illness that lasted for only four days. Before his death we were both born again Christians.Since his death I decided not to re-marry or get a child outside my matrimonial home which the Bible is against.When my late husband was alive he deposited the sum of$8.6Million (Eight Millionsix hundred thousand U.S. Dollars) with one finance/security company in Amsterderm Holland. Presently, this money is still with the Security Company. Recently, my Doctor told me that I would not last for the next three months due to cancer problem. Though what disturbs me most is my stroke sickness. Having known my condition I decided to donate this fund to church or better still a christian individual that will utilize this money the way I am going to instruct here in. I want a church that will use this fund to fund churches, orphanages and widows propagating the word of God and to ensure that the house of God is maintained. The Bible made us to understand that Blessed is the hand that giveth.

I took this decision because I don't have any child that will inherit this money and my husband relatives are not Christians and I don't want my husband's hard earned money to be misused by unbelievers. I don'twant a situation where this money will be used in an ungodly manner.

Hence the reason for taking this bold decision. I am not afraid of death hence I know where I am going. I know that I am going to be in the bosom of the Lord. Exodus 14 VS 14 says that the lord will fight my case and I shall hold my peace. I don't need any telephone communication in thisregard because of my health because of the presence of my husband's relatives around me always. I don't want them to know about this development.

With God all things are possible. As soon as I receiveyour reply I shall give you the contact of the Finance/Security Company in Amsterdam Holland. I will also issue you a letter of authority that will prove you as the original- beneficiary of this fund. I want you and the church to always pray for me because the lord is my shephard. My happiness is that I lived a life of a worthy Christian. Whoever that wants to serve the Lord must serve him in spirit and truth. Please always be prayerful all through your life. Any delay in your reply will give me room in sourcing for a chuch or christian individual for this same purpose. Please assure me that you will act accordingly as I stated herein. Hoping to hearing from you. N.B-PLEASE I WILL ADVICE YOU TO CONTACT THE LAWYER IN CHARGE IN HOLLAND IMMEDIATELY, HE DOES EVERYTHING ON MY BEHALF AND HE'S VERY UNDERSTANDING AND I BELIEVE HE WILL LEAD YOU TO YOUR SUCCESS IN JESUS NAME

NAME: ***** ******

TELL: ***********

Remain blessed in the name of the Lord.

Yours in Christ,

Mrs *********.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Yeah, right... :rolleyes:

BTW, if you are interested then you can read an interesting article on the Nigerian letter freud (not about this particular variant though) on the website from the FBI:

http://www.fbi.gov/majcases/fraud/fraudschemes.htm#nigerian