cheezus. the canadians have done it again.

Tide In Mind Out

ct_thrash
Mar 5, 2002
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8219892/
^must click to see the pic

TORONTO - A statue commemorating a hero of Toronto's gay community is raising hackles both for the actions of the man it depicts and for the somewhat graphic description of the 19th century sex scandal that made him famous.

But denizens of Toronto's centrally located and often irreverent gay neighborhood — the home of the city's hugely popular annual gay pride celebrations — say the sculpture is not offensive and fits with the spirit of the community.

The 13-1/2 foot (4.1 meter) bronze and granite monument depicts Alexander Wood, famous for both owning the land on which the community now sits and for being run out of town under a cloud of sexual scandal in the early 1800s.

It shows a dapper young man wearing a long coat and holding a top hat and cane.

"It's nice to have the statue in the community, but I don't think it's well done," said one area resident, referring to a plaque at the statue's base that outlines the scandal.

"I think it's misleading. The sensationalistic side of homosexuality is not the norm."

Wood emigrated from Scotland in the 1790s, becoming a merchant, militiaman and a well-respected magistrate, before running into trouble in 1810.

A woman reported a rape, noting she had scratched the attacker on his genitals. Wood took matters into his own hands, lining up the suspects and demanding that they drop their pants so he could "inspect" them.

After word of the incident got around, Wood was widely branded a "molly," a derogatory term for homosexuals, and he agreed to leave town in exchange for not being prosecuted for abusing his position.

The incident is commemorated on the statue's granite base, with a bronze plaque depicting a man's rear end with his pants around his knees, and Wood's outstretched hand in mid-examination.

Hero or pervert?
"Let's get something straight: Alexander Wood wasn't a hero, he was a pervert," columnist Rachel Marsden wrote in the conservative National Post newspaper, noting that the bronze plaque was "something that could pass for a scene out of the Michael Jackson trial."

"This, in the middle of the city's supposedly family-friendly tourist district," she wrote.

However, backers of the monument say Wood is an important link to the area's colorful history and the plaque is unlikely to offend many in an area where public displays of affection between same-sex partners are commonplace.

:lol: x 168.3

The incident is commemorated on the statue's granite base, with a bronze plaque depicting a man's rear end with his pants around his knees, and Wood's outstretched hand in mid-examination.

Australia's butt-flag is looking mighty pathetic right about now.

Are you kidding? If that happened down here the bodycounts would be adding up like mad!

haha! that plaque is hilarious. gay people are annoying. i don't flaunt my heterosexuality. no one wants to hear about that kinda shit.

true, gay people who flaunt and exagerate it, and seem like they're trying to peform to fit into the mould of how gay people should act are even more annoying than straight people who do the same :loco:

One Inch Man said:
Are you kidding? If that happened down here the bodycounts would be adding up like mad!

Are YOU kidding? If that statue was erected (teehee) here, and somone dared to say "thats fucking rediculous and you all know it" THEY would be killed by an army of left-wing wankers. I thought California was like New England in that way? That statue would be fought for to no end by the liberals.