Chris! Picking Hand Question (warning 56k, large pics)

DarkRaven03

New Metal Member
Feb 12, 2008
Hey Chris, I've got a question for you about your picking hand and right hand stance in general. I've noticed that you keep your fingers out most of the time. Do you find this to create less tension as opposed to keeping a loose fist(not clenched, but relaxed)? I'm trying to sort out my picking hand and figure out what eliminates the most tension. Lately I've been playing with the loose fist. Which position would you recommend? I also pick mainly from my wrist/forearm, if that makes a difference.

Pics for reference

Open hand

pickinghand001.jpg

pickinghand002.jpg

Closed hand

pickinghand003.jpg

pickinghand004.jpg

Thanks for your help!
Hey DarkRaven03,

I recommend open hand on the basis that the fingers can relax that way but remember everyone is built different so if you pay attention to your hand after trying each technique equally you should know the answer.

let me know how it goes, Chris.

Thanks for the help Chris. I'm now using the open fingers and have noticed a pretty big improvement. I actually started with open fingers and later experimented with a more closed up hand, but now I'm back to open fingers. One thing though, what do you do when you get to the high strings, let your fingers rest against the body (but not anchor) or make them hover above the volume knob? Which would you recommend?