A question for Chris about wrist tension

Shawnlaneapostle

New Metal Member
Feb 15, 2012
Hey chris i'm a big fan and love your playing. i've been playing guitar for about 9 years now and more recently i've been having (a very annoying) problem with the tension in my lower right wrist. it mainly happens when playing at higher tempo's, and have never had a problem with this in the past. starting out i always practiced picking and whatnot by having as little upper arm movement as possible and just keeping it within the wrist area and that really paid off. i don't really know whats happening now though, i haven't sustained any injuries to it either. have you any suggestions or exercises as to what can get rid of this tension?

regards, Michael

Not Chris here, but are you anchoring with your pinky?

If you're anchoring too much, it might lead to some added tension.

yeah i thought it would have been something to do with that but its not anchored at all, its fine. its unusual because it never tenses when i play fast on piano, but nearly always when on guitar, so i'm beginning to suspect that it has something to do with the way my thumb rests on the pick, because the tension is at the side of my wrist where it then leads to my thumb.

Michael

Is it just tension or does it also get painful? Unwanted tension often disappears, the more you practice.

within seconds of playing fast it tenses and then if i keep going it gets a small bit painful. i had no trouble playing fast before, this just started happening the last 2 to 3 months, i hope its just a passing thing.

Michael

yeah i thought it would have been something to do with that but its not anchored at all, its fine. its unusual because it never tenses when i play fast on piano, but nearly always when on guitar, so i'm beginning to suspect that it has something to do with the way my thumb rests on the pick, because the tension is at the side of my wrist where it then leads to my thumb.

Michael

Well, if you're not anchoring, maybe trying resting your pinky lightly?

Light anchoring can help relax the wrist sometimes, and I know for a fact that Chris is all for techniques that make your hands/fingers more relaxed.

One thing that really helped me is doing "burst" exercises. In these exercises, you play at high speeds for a very short amount of time, focusing completely on executing with minimal tension. I made a (very poor) video on it a few years ago, it might give you some ideas.

Last edited by a moderator: