Christian Mistress - Posession Full Album Stream - For Fans of NWOBHM and 70's rock

modernwizardry

I want stout!
Aug 18, 2009
Chicago, IL
satanshallow.bandcamp.com
Really digging this so far...hearing Motorhead, Thin Lizzy, Rainbow, Angel Witch, Priest, Maiden, etc. Great female vocalist too. The album was released 2/28 on Relapse Records. Make sure to check out "Conviction" (very priest-esque heavy metal rocker) and "Black to Gold" (my stand-out so far featuring a twin guitar attack and vibes similar to Angel Witch and maybe Rainbow at times).

Full Album Stream:
http://www.guitarworld.com/exclusive-christian-mistress-streaming-new-album-possession

From the Bandcamp page:
Olympia, Washington’s heavy metal voyagers CHRISTIAN MISTRESS delivers unto us their long-awaited Relapse debut Possession. The follow-up to 2010’s critically-acclaimed Agony & Opium, Possession mines deep from the same vein and sees the band standing on the shoulders of metal luminaries of the past. The quintet, lead by powerhouse vocalist Christine Davis and the twin-axe attack of Ryan McClain and Oscar Sparbel, distill traditional heavy metal into the sound of now.
credits
released 28 February 2012
Relapse Records
www.relapse.com
posession1400.jpg

Ha! Ok, I remember you ragging on them when they came to town last year.

Anyhow, I listened to half the stream.
I like their obvious influences and was impressed.
I heard a lot of Blackmoore. Not sure I would run out quickly and buy it, but definitely solid.

Saw 'em a few months ago opening for Hammers of Misfortune, and while the tunes were pretty cool, and the faces of a couple of the guys in the band indicate they were genetically predestined to play music like this, the singer was a pretty weak point. They could really use someone with a bit more confidence or power or something. I definitely recognize a few of these tunes though, which is pretty good for songs that I only heard once a few months ago.

Neil

I totally disagree, here subdued "I'm too cool to care" almost Jefferson Airplane-ish style rules. Really makes the record sound slick.

I totally disagree, here subdued "I'm too cool to care" almost Jefferson Airplane-ish style rules. Really makes the record sound slick.

Hey, I'm all for too-cool-to-care chicks, like the girl from Black Mountain, my beloved Hanka Nogolova, or sure, Grace Slick. Their voices have that lovely languid style because they're probably blazed outta their minds, but it's clear they still have great voices behind the haze. Maybe if I only listened to the record, I could convince myself that the same was true of Christian Mistress, but live she was saying "I'm really not that comfortable up here and my instrument isn't helping" a lot more than "I'm too cool to care". Anyway, I still like the band, but argh, now probably a little less after you posted this because now when I'm listening I'm imagining how awesome it would be if they had a truly great singer like one of those mentioned above who could take the sleepy vibe all the way!

Neil

Hey, I'm all for too-cool-to-care chicks, like the girl from Black Mountain, my beloved Hanka Nogolova, or sure, Grace Slick. Their voices have that lovely languid style because they're probably blazed outta their minds, but it's clear they still have great voices behind the haze. Maybe if I only listened to the record, I could convince myself that the same was true of Christian Mistress, but live she was saying "I'm really not that comfortable up here and my instrument isn't helping" a lot more than "I'm too cool to care". Anyway, I still like the band, but argh, now probably a little less after you posted this because now when I'm listening I'm imagining how awesome it would be if they had a truly great singer like one of those mentioned above who could take the sleepy vibe all the way!

Neil
Black Mountain's Wilderness Hearts was great!

Radiant Hearts was so haunting!

Last edited by a moderator: