cinematic metal

cthulufhtagn

Went Out for Smokes 13 Years Ago
Jul 19, 2004
south of washington
i've been listening to yyrkoon's first album, oniric transition, and there's something about it that has a distinctly cinematic quality about it...maybe it's the strings, the occasional battle-noise sample, the fact that it's so fucking metuhl :)loco: ), but it reminds me in places of diabolical masquerade's "death's design" (a great album in its own right)

so i guess my point is name some albums that make you feel like you're in a movie and for fuck's sake explain why, this is not a "now playing" thread

What did you think of the last Yrkoon album? Everyone raved, I listened, I heard straight up blarghu death metal.

Oh and I think Rhapsody have trademarked "Hollywood Symphonic Metal", hehe. Their music is laced with Hans Zimmer, John Williams, and a ton of Conan the Barbarian stuff. All real orchestra as well so you have to take your hat off.

Symphony X have it nailed as well. Listen to "The Oddysey" (the song), or "V" (the album) -- particularly "Communion and the Oracle".

EDIT: Except of course Symphony X is all casio-driven. As are Virgin Steele's "House of Atreus" albums, which is a shame because those would sound phenomenal with a real orchestra. They're still exceptional either way.

JayKeeley said:
What did you think of the last Yrkoon album? Everyone raved, I listened, I heard straight up blarghu death metal.
read my best of 2005 thread :lol:

i thought, and still think, that it's fucking great...i admit, not the most original stuff, but goddamn, it tickles me in a way that if loretta tickled me that way i'd say "oh yeah, that's nice" [/cleveland]

Nothing to do with metal but Predella Avant's "Carbone Figures" sur has a very visual feel to it. It's a blend of dark ambient collages, martial percussion and the occasional brass orchestration. I believe I made a thread about them earlier this year. It's the best dark "symphonic" ambient stuff I've heard so far.

Two recent efforts:
Biomechanical - Empires of the Worlds
The Ocean - FluXion

JayKeeley said:
That any good? I know Dev loves it.
It's decent. Nothing to get too worked up over, but it's solid. I'd like to hear the new one. I think they changed their sound some.

"blood on ice". i swear if i had the budget and the skills i would make "BLOOD ON ICE: THE MOVIE". yeah it would be a total conan ripoff but it would KICK ASS. i would hire arnold.

Bal Sagoth's "Starfire Burning" would be a great sci fi flick, and "A Black Moon Broods Over Lemuria" would be a solid dark fantasy (LOTR) movie. Battle Magic could be good too.

THe other two could be comedies.

I find Ulver's latest to be very cinematic at points, especially the integration of found sounds in Your Call and the massively multitracked nature of the album. And of course since most of the examples have been of the bombastic variety, Therion comes to mind immediately.

Yrkoon discussion:

i've been listening to yyrkoon's first album, oniric transition, and there's something about it that has a distinctly cinematic quality about it...

I revisited Yrkoon's debut after HenrikMain posted a sample song in his comp. I'm glad I did. It's excellent.

I'm not sure if it's 'cinematic' but it's very 'sophisticated' if that makes sense. I don't normally go for something so clinical but this is very cultured. It's like white collar metal or something. :)

I listened to it twice in a row. :kickass: