Circus Maximus on YouTube

Mar 1, 2011
Hi CM and all,

I am very active in writing promotional videos and reviews for great bands of this type, such as Shadow Gallery, Power of Omens, Myrath, Spheric Universe Experience and now Circus Maximus. By studying the CM members and their official YouTube accounts, I discovered how gracious Truls, in particular, was to YouTubers putting up either songs or videos related to the band: vocal covers, album galleries with reviews or video reviews. I use Facebook a lot to contact musicians who may wish to be included in my projects, and Michael was nice enough to respond back about my plans for videos of the TokyoMetal777 variety. (He'll remember who this guy is.)

I write the best shortly after listening, of course. I returned to The 1st Chapter again yesterday and it still has so much win that it would be considered cheating to bring this album to the Olympics! Kekal's Acidity album is about the only competition for best album of 2005 so far. Everything is ready to put up with all the embellishments, but there's one issue that I felt it was best to address up-front by joining this forum (as Michael had invited me to come over here already): copyright issues.

Warner Music Group does not appear to even own Sensory and thus Circus Maximus, but went ahead and blocked this video when I tested out the upload initially. (This was mainly a test, so I simply removed it and will try again later.) The Rockumentary! team should have received a short video file from me a few hours ago, entitled Circus Maximus in 10 seconds on YouTube itself (didn't include my contact info, but the band members should still be able to contact me anyway); this video is too short to be legally blocked. Though I could dispute this based on what Mike has said so far, I want to keep unlimited-time capability, and my research reveals that this issue has personally affected the band members.

I am subscribed to Truls on YouTube and noticed that WMG had actually blocked the video of his drumming to "A Darkened Mind"! Based on his experiences, or anybody else's in the band, resulting from this incident, I am certain that I can receive more of an informed answer here than anywhere else. Does WMG actually own this material, what is the band's stance on this blocking, and what is the best possible way for me to get these videos up to the world?

Thanks for reading - both albums are jewels of my collection, treasured for drum and vocal performances and absolute powerhouses in the prog metal scene. I've got The 1st Chapter pretty close to mastered with my two sticks, and with Truls playing all manner of these complex beats, it's the memorability of the songs that makes me able to remember these above almost any others.

Patiently waiting - Andrew
The Manipulator General