City of Men - From the Makers of City of God

Reign in Acai

Of Elephant and Man
Jun 25, 2003
Favela of My Dismay
Who has seen this?!?!?!

----------------------------

The series covers the same ground (the slums of Rio in Brazil) as the film City of God, but with different characters two street-wise boys Acerola and Laranjinha.

City Of Men is an exciting mixture of gritty social realism and high-octane action. However, the filmmakers use the mini series format to delve deeper into the characters, and the reality of their situation. This approach was much more realistic than the approach taken by the film, as we see our two main characters, Acerola and Laranjinha, balance dodging bullets with job hunting and, in one memorable episode, trips to the beach. This is also useful from a dramatic standpoint because, like with all good TV shows, we are able to build relationships with these characters, and by the end, they become like old friends. We are with them every step of the way, as they discover girls, get in trouble with the law, experience racism and prejudice... through the good times and the bad, we see Laranjinha and Acerola grow. The acting of the young amateur cast was highly praised in City Of God, and several of the actors reappear in City Of Men, albeit as different characters. Darlan Cunha (Laranjinha) and Douglas Silva (Acerola) feature in most scenes, so it is a relief that they are so natural in front of the camera. The series doesn't have a particular narrative to speak of. Instead, each episode can be viewed as a snapshot of a different aspect of life in the favela (or, as it is called by the locals, 'The Hill'). - Amazon.

:kickass:

For those of you who haven't seen City of God, do so!!!

I read about this series, but I was pretty disturbed by City of God so I'm not sure if I'm ready yet to watch more. I think I've lost any desire to ever visit Rio.

awesome!!! i'll try and d/l later. i fuckin love city of god...and despite it, still retain a desire to visit brazil :lol:

you just have to stay the fuck out of the favelas basically...you'll probably still get robbed. or stabbed. just not stabbed and robbed.