Classic Albums

Gadlor

Herald of Homoerotic Fury
Aug 10, 2002
Aruba
What makes a metal album 'classic'? Is there a relatively widely accepted set of classics? What are the CDs you'd list as classic metal albums (in this past decade or so?)

For me, classic implies that even after it's been in the market for a substantial time, people are able to appreciate it. That it has some sort of universal appeal. I'm not so sure that there's a widely accepted set of classics - each person has something different that they appreciate about music, and what is found in one band may not be what is found in another.

So far, what I'm thinking as classics in this era:

Amorphis - Tales from the Thousand Lakes
In Flames - The Jester Race
Soilwork - The Chainheart Machine
Finntroll - Jaktens Tid
Dream Theater - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
Dark Tranquillity - Haven/The Gallery
Disillusion - Back To Times of Splendor (only 2 years old, but I have a feeling this one might last)

I note that I haven't thrown down any power metal albums..hm. I guess I can't really consider them 'classics' just yet - they're probably too new for me to tell if their catchiness will last. (and there's no skyfire in the list for the same reason - just too new!)

Now these aren't my favorite albums from each artist, but I feel that they are albums that set a precedent in each respective genre. They are all from the the early 90's and on as well.

Dark Tranquillity - The Gallery
Soilwork - The Chainheart Machine
Evergrey - Solitude Dominance Tragedy
Katatonia - Brave Murder Day
Opeth - Morningrise
Death - The Sound of Perseverance
Nevermore - Dead Heart in a Dead World
Children of Bodom - Hatebreeder
Disillusion - Back to Times of Splendor

Gadlor said:
(in this past decade or so?)

man, I'm not even listening to metal for that long o_O
I do own some albums that are from the mid nineties, but most are from the late nineties & 2k's.

For me, classic implies that even after it's been in the market for a substantial time, people are able to appreciate it. That it has some sort of universal appeal.
that would be my personal definition of "alltime fave" :erk:

Albums that don't 'burn out' after you listen to them for a while and are varied sylistically yet consistent qualitatively; They are the apex of a certain, unique musical style. The first six on my list have been extremely influential in the metal scene, the last four not so much.

Soilwork - A Predator's Portrait
Opeth - Morningrise
At The Gates - Slaughter of the Soul
Dream Theater - Train of Thought
System of a Down - Toxicity
Ayreon - The Human Equation
Hypocrisy - S/T
Nightwish - Wishmaster
Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle-Earth

I think that generally an album (or movie, or book, etc) should be required to either have an influence on future generations or have a significant impact on the scene before it can be considered a classic. And really, I wouldn't consider most of my favorites to be classics, because I think such a term, while immesurable, is not relative either. Which is why it's such a prestigious thing for an album to be considered by a mass amount of people to be a classic.

I don't actually like some of these... and some go just below the decade mark... some I've never actually heard, but recognize their influence:

Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse
Nile - Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka
Cryptopsy - None So Vile
Blind Guardian - Imaginations From the Other Side
Pig Destroyer - Prowler in the Yard
Entombed - Wolverine Blues
Iced Earth - Burnt Offerings
Lost Horizon - Awakening the World
GWAR - Violence Has Arrived
Greenjolly (/Grindzholy/Ðàçîì) - Þùåíêî ÒÀÊ! (can't find a translation for the album name, but it's really just the single, "Razom Nas Bahato, Nas Ne Podolaty" anyway)

The last one is an example of an "instant classic," which, in my opinion, only happen when a band is at the right place at the right time. It's a rap group from Ukraine and that song apparently became some kind of big anthem for people who were rebelling against a corrupt government (and won too).

The GWAR album I mentioned has influenced practically nothing (and hopefully will continue not to because musically, it's not great) but marks the beginning of a new direction for a freaking awesome band whose impact extends waayy beyond the music.

Lost Horizon hasn't had a whole lot of time to make a big impact, but that album is a beacon for bands that are putting the balls back into power metal (not that admittedly nutsackless "flower" metal like Sonata Arctica doesn't rule if it's done well... like Sonata Arctica). It seems to be kind of a new development for old 80's US power bands to be getting back together, as well as new bands playing in an older style.

Nile's nothing special if you ask me, but their first album did a hell of a lot in terms of reviving the dying genre of death metal (or so I've read...).

Great topic :Spin: great lists so far as well.

For me a classic is something that will stick with you forever, whether it be for the groundbreaking style, the perfection of such, or just for being an absolute kickass album. Here are mine:

In Flames - Whoracle
Opeth - Morningrise
At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul
Carcass - Heartwork
Death - The Sound of Perseverance
Dark Tranquillity - The Gallery
Nevermore - Dreaming Neon Black
Soilwork - A Predator's Portrait
Rhapsody - Legendary Tales (yes it's a classic as far as homosexual power metal goes!)

and here are a few which I think with time will become classics:

Ensiferum - s/t
Amon Amarth - Versus the World
Sonata Arctica - Ecliptica/Silence
Skyfire - Timeless Departure
Kalmah - Swamplord
^^ Maybe not CLASSICS on these but they sure do kick ass

Before I start, i've got to say these albums im listing are albums which i'll probably remember for a long time... might not be everyones cup of tea :p

Hypocrisy - Abducted
Dark Tranquillity - Damage Done
Omnium Gatherum - Spirits and August Light
Insomnium - Since the Day it All Came Down
Ensiferum - Iron
Wintersun - Wintersun
Cipher System - Central Tunnel Eight
Moonsorrow - Kivenkantaja
Mors Princpium Est - Inhumanity
Windir - Arntor

The Don said:
and here are a few which I think with time will become classics:

Sonata Arctica - Ecliptica

I was thinking about that one... The only reason I'm not sure about it is that it's very derivative of bands that already existed, specifically Stratovarius, except that it kicks rediculously more ass than its predecessors... Though were I to follow your guidelines ("the perfection of such") this would be an ideal candidate for the term "classic."

Some I forgot:

Cathedral - The Ethereal Mirror
Jason Becker - Perspective
SunnO))) - Flight of the Behemoth
Agalloch - The Mantle

Some non-metal stuff...

Rites of Spring - s/t
Embrace - s/t
Mohinder - Everything
Ulver - Perdition City
Angel Hair - Pregnant With the Senior Class
Atari Teenage Riot - Delete Yourself
Mr. Bungle - Disco Volante

Holy shit! While checking dates of albums on Metal-Archives to make sure they fit in the thread, I discovered that Holy Terror is back together :headbang: