classic death metal guitar sound

Teloch

New Metal Member
Mar 26, 2004
Satantonio TX
Can someone please explain to me how to get the guitar sound that can be found on the classic death metal albums by bands such as Entombed and Carnage. I have put a sample of the sound I am talking about here.

Please tell me anything you can about this sound - rig, effects, eq, etc.

Thanks a lot

hmm, sounds a lot like the triple rectifier i use at my bands rehearsal space. i plug into that with an esp with emg 81's (yes i am aware that i used to bash emg's... they just sound really good with my set up)

I heard that most of these swedish bands use these boss pedals.
Using a rectifier and emg 81 might be helpful too, but I think an Peavey 5150 would be also a good choice. Concerning guitars I don´t know for sure: I guess Entombed themselves play Gibson guitars tuned down to B maybe.

Thanks for the advice Erik - sounds like you know exactly what I'm talking about. After I pick up an old HM-2 for cheap and give it a try I'll let you know if that's all I needed. It sounds to me like there is also some harmonizing or pitch shift in that old school sound...

Iced In Flames said:
Just get a DOD Death Metal Pedal

OMFG! That's the worst pedal I've ever used. I bought one online without testing and it's just terrible. It makes everything sound like a big fucking mess.

dod death metal pedal is awesome, best distortion pedal ive ever used

maybe you didnt set it up right?

In the world of solid state distortion pedals, I don't think anything can beat the DOD Death Metal, the Grunge doesn't sound too bad either.

The Guyatone Metal Monster is the best distortion pedal I've ever used though, but I hear good things about the Radial Engineering Hot British pedal as well.

are we talking about the same pedal? fx86 right? Maybe it's my pickups but for me it sounded like a big muddy mess. I couldn't even hear my own chord changes, and the blend was terrible, even when palm muting. Sorry but I absolutely couldn't stand that pedal. I switched to a boss os-2 which was a bit light, but still worlds better- and now I'm in the market for a decent enough amp to not need a pedal. Suggestions for that are welcome. 5-600 bucks is my limit though.