Can anyone tell me how to get a "metalcore" sound?

Warheart666

Nothing.
Feb 6, 2005
MD
or something near to that. I'm talking about the smooth, but still harsh sound that bands such as Atreyu and Unearth have. Sadly I don't have the best gear, I have an Ibanez RG170 guitar, currently tuned to drop C, an MG15CD Marshall 15 watt practice amp, and a boss DS1 distortion pedal. Can anyone tell me the settings and tweaks to get a sound close to that of which I'm talking about?

scoop your mids and work your treble&bass and lower your gain - gives me the scratchy-scratch tone of most metalcore I've listen to (but hey, I'm not a metalcore aficcionado). I-m not sure about your equipment, it works fine here though.

hey. Atreyu have a pretty cool sound that, yes, they get through scooping their mids quite a lot. On the first album they don't use so much distortion but on The Curse they are using a LOT of distortion. You also need to bear in mind that they are using double tracked guitars on the albums.

A pretty important factor for the metalcore sound imo is to get a really thick sounding guitar - preferably something mahogany and definately with (a) humbucker(s).

Try experimenting with combinations of distortion from your amp and pedal to get that smooth-but-aggressive sound you want.

They all pretty much use Drop-C.