Distortion Pedal Settings for Opethish Sound?

Quick question, does anyone have any suggestions on what settings to use to get a good Opeth distortion sound with a Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal? Pretty happy right now with the Bass/Mid/Treble on my amp right now but I'm currently just using my amp's distortion (and it's not a very pricey amp) because I haven't figured out the right settings on that boss pedal for Opeth's sound. As it probably varies somewhat, I'm mostly into playing GR and BWP songs.

This won't really get you the tone for Ghost Reveries or Blackwater Park, but it will most definitely get you the tone for Still Life and some of My Arms Your Hearse. I went Jackson DK2M>DS-1>5150, and started playing Godhead's Lament. It sounded extremely close to the album.

Tone: 12 o'clock (toggle very slightly to the left for a little bit more bass, and very slightly to the right for a little more trebble)

Level: 3 o'clock

Distortion: 1 o'clock (toggle very slightly to your liking of gain)

If you want more of GR's tone, go straight into a POD on the rectifier model, and that'll get you pretty close to their distorted sound, and go into the AC30 for their cleans (add a ton of midrange, and roll back the tone knob for some of the cleans)

I have a GT-10 running 4 cable method into a Laney GH100L. Which is pretty much that same setup as Mike but with an upgraded GT unit. But i was wondering how any of you other GT owners are running yours? What do you think of them?

Well its actually very easy. It’s basically the best way to run your FX unit. The basic idea is this: Guitar-->FX Input-->FX SEND-->Amps Main Input-->Amps FX Send-->FX Return--> Main FX OUT to Amps FX Return. This method ‘isolates’ your amps Preamp section to either be used or bypassed depending on whether the FX units loop is ON/OFF. With the Boss GT series using this is the best sounding way to use it with your tube/valve amps. You can choose to use the amps pre amp or the pedals pre amp on a patch by patch basis. Because some patches sound better through the pedal and some through the amp. Also you can place the Amps Pre anywhere within the FX chain you want using Boss GT pedals. Makes you extremely versatile being able to use not only your amp but your pedal to their full abilities.

I have a GT-10 running 4 cable method into a Laney GH100L. Which is pretty much that same setup as Mike but with an upgraded GT unit. But i was wondering how any of you other GT owners are running yours? What do you think of them?

Mike is not using the 4 cable method.

I'm a GT user as well, I think they are among the best you can find actually. User friendly. I've been thru a lot of riggs. When I play with my rockband I use two analogue overdrives, an EQ pedal and then GT-6 in loop just for timebased efx. With my metalband its 100% GT6

How do you know he is not using the 4 cable method? I've never been sure...

he is using the 4 cable method. Go have a close look at his setup next time you see opeth live. He has a nice loom running from his pedal to his amp. And from the view i got of his pedal being setup he had cables going into his send and return on his pedal. Thus 4 cable method. I doubt he could pull such a great tone without using the amps tube preamp

he is using the 4 cable method. Go have a close look at his setup next time you see opeth live. He has a nice loom running from his pedal to his amp. And from the view i got of his pedal being setup he had cables going into his send and return on his pedal. Thus 4 cable method. I doubt he could pull such a great tone without using the amps tube preamp

The tube preamp is hardly in use when the tone is not distorted. And its not, the laneys run 100% clean. Generally the 4-cable method is used in order to use ampdistortion. This being said, he could run the 4 cable method, but it wouldnt make that much of a difference in his tone.