Question about guitar tone

IntoObscurity

Sep 20, 2002
Connecticut, USA
Visit site
Well, I just picked up a nice 50w Ibanez(yeah I know:p) amp for christmas, and while I would've preferred a Marshall, it still works. However, I use a Yamaha DG-Stomp Preamp along with it, but my distortion sounds really hollow, and the clean sound doesn't have that deep, full, tone that I hear in songs such as Credence, and the live Opeth video guitar interview. I'm thinking about getting a Boss GT5 to help with the tone, but I don't have the money right now, so I'd was wondering if I could get some advice on whether I should pick up some new pickups(probably dimarzio) or a new distortion pedal. I'm leaning towards pickups, any tips?

EMG pickups are always good.

They have made a lot of progress in pedal technology. Go to the Guitar Center or whatever you have near you and test drive some. I am sure you can find one that is affordable and gives you the tone you are looking for.

well first of all try boosting the middle and bass on the amp and on the settings on your stomp box.

if you're looking for new pickups, go for ones with lots of middle like the evolution or tone zone for the bridge position. For the neck position (i'm assuming you have two humbuckers) i would go for something like the air norton or paf or some kind of jazz pickup for your clean sounds.

Pick up a good EQ. That will help compensate for any descrepancies you may have within your amp or guitar, and it's something you can use in future rigs when you have a better guitar or amp (or both).

Originally posted by TravisW
Pick up a good EQ. That will help compensate for any descrepancies you may have within your amp or guitar, and it's something you can use in future rigs when you have a better guitar or amp (or both).

yea, that's a pretty good idea too...check out the boss ge-7

To be honest I just use the amp distortion, it sounds fine for me with the right settings.

I have a Fender Tube Amp from the late 60's that I found at a garage sale and I have not heard anything that beats it for a warm sound.

Do not NOT boost the mids. Mids give your guitar sound CUT, which means you'll be heard in a live setting. Mids are you friend, show me a guitar sound without mids, and it'll sound like ass when playing with a band.

While scooping the mids may make your guitar sound cooler when wanking in your bedroom, it'll just sound like indescernable fizz when cranked up loud. It'll piss you off, and it'll piss me off :)

What sounds really awesome is when you cut the mid Frequency to around 200kz and boost the actual mids to 8,9, or 10 and leave everything else at flat 5's....get ready to rock with that setting man..

:lol: Haha, sorry, I found that pretty funny, Ozzman.

Even though I know it's a typo, 200 "kz" is way out of a human's hearing range. :p Also, the "actual mids" vary from amp to amp, so it could sound like shit on one amp, but great on another.

Anyway, what you said does make sense, but I just felt like being a prick and pointing out the little things. :)

Originally posted by Aborted Fetus
:lol: Haha, sorry, I found that pretty funny, Ozzman.

Even though I know it's a typo, 200 "kz" is way out of a human's hearing range. :p Also, the "actual mids" vary from amp to amp, so it could sound like shit on one amp, but great on another.

Anyway, what you said does make sense, but I just felt like being a prick and pointing out the little things. :)

o well...as long as you got the idea its all good...it sounds wicked on my amp...

I'd say mess around with your EQ. I have a Boss GT6 (the gold one) and I find it much easier to use and program than the Boss GT5.

It also depends on what guitar you have. The wood used to make the guitar accounts for a lot more then most people think, that why Les Paul's sounds much heavier in sound then some Squire made from a stolen toilet seat from Indonesia. The pickups also account for your sound. Single coils will give you a tinny sound, while humbuckers have a lot more power and depth in them. Go to a guitar shop and ask.

And if nothing else works, you can go for EMG's. They give the same sound in any guitar, whether is a £3000 Les Paul to a 50p Squire off eBay.

NAD - Tube amps suck, good sound, but they always fucking breakdown at the worst possible moment. At least with trannies you've got some confidence in the reliability of your rig.

Originally posted by Sathane
NAD - Tube amps suck, good sound, but they always fucking breakdown at the worst possible moment. At least with trannies you've got some confidence in the reliability of your rig.
True, tubes can get expensive to replace as well. I like tube pre-amps with transistor power amps to get a little better reliability and cheaper cost. All tube would be cool though... if you can afford the hassle and the headache.