Question for Mr. V and Mattias about Solens Rötter guitar tone

karpsmom

May 25, 2005
New Jersey, USA
I love your guitar tones on this album so much, and I was just curious if you have any EQ advice for getting a good distortion tone. I'm sure you don't wanna just give away your settings, but if you have any tips what to boost, what to reduce etc. it would be super appreciated. If anybody else on the board has any tips either I'd love to hear them.

Some of my favorite distorted tones:

Opeth on Watershed
Vintersorg on Solens Rötter (particularly the song "Naturens Mystär")
Nightingale on White Darkness
Bal-Sagoth on Chthonic Chronicles

If this helps, my equipment is:

Paul Reed Smith SE Singlecut
Peavey 5150 Combo amp
Boss GT-6

I just really love how clear the Vintersorg tones are, while being bright and punchy without being "tinny" sounding. I also love how it sounds heavy and rich without sounding all saturated or like the gain is pumped up super high.

ANY advice/tips/words would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mr. V, Mattias and/or anybody else!!

I love your guitar tones on this album so much, and I was just curious if you have any EQ advice for getting a good distortion tone. I'm sure you don't wanna just give away your settings, but if you have any tips what to boost, what to reduce etc. it would be super appreciated. If anybody else on the board has any tips either I'd love to hear them.

Some of my favorite distorted tones:

Opeth on Watershed
Vintersorg on Solens Rötter (particularly the song "Naturens Mystär")
Nightingale on White Darkness
Bal-Sagoth on Chthonic Chronicles

If this helps, my equipment is:

Paul Reed Smith SE Singlecut
Peavey 5150 Combo amp
Boss GT-6

I just really love how clear the Vintersorg tones are, while being bright and punchy without being "tinny" sounding. I also love how it sounds heavy and rich without sounding all saturated or like the gain is pumped up super high.

ANY advice/tips/words would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mr. V, Mattias and/or anybody else!!

Glad you like it. Well, we use actually a V-amp 2 for all the rhythmgits on SR. I rembember starting off with the preset "modern High-gain" and just tweaked my way ahead until I had something that i lIked, that means EQ, gain, cabinet, compressor etc..the trick is , in my opinion, not to use so much distortion...as you add upp all the guitars( at least 4 guitars are aways playing) the summurized distortion will be plenty even if the singel guitars aren't that saturated. The more distortion you add the less definition you'll get.Then when we mixed the album we used EQ...just to adjust it so it fitted with the rest of the ensamble:)

mr V

It's surprising that you use just a V-Amp 2 and not some super weirdly-wired skycraperlike rack of pure exhibitionism. I have one, too, (but the rack variation, though) and am really glad now to hear it ^^

But I have one question: What about the panning? Do you put two guitar tracks to the far left and the other two to the far right or how do you handle it? That'd be interesting. :)

How does the V-amp compare to the Pod 2? That's what I've got at home (I used a 6505 with my band) so I'm really surprised that such awesome tone came out of something so... small.

But I have one question: What about the panning? Do you put two guitar tracks to the far left and the other two to the far right or how do you handle it? That'd be interesting. :)

I'm, not sure if Mr V did this, but a very well known 'trick' on mixing 4 guitars is this:

gtr1: L-100%
gtr2: R-100%
gtr3: L- 80-60% (it's most used the 75%, it's a matter of choice)
gtr4: R-80-60%

This way you create a 'wall' of guitars, but you need to be careful about the frecuencies to not drown the bass (like Death's Human) and the bass drums.

How does the V-amp compare to the Pod 2? That's what I've got at home (I used a 6505 with my band) so I'm really surprised that such awesome tone came out of something so... small.

I dunno if this can be useful, but anyway, my 2 cents:

Being both pod and v-amp amp/cabinet simulators mainly and not pedal effect processors like boss gt-8, on a general overview the Pod 2.0 is better, the distorsions of the V-amp 2 are way better for recordings, but to use it live I think Pod is better. The V-amp 2 is less easy to use and to get what you want, but at least on the distorsion field for recordings, V-amp2 is better IMO.

The problems with the V-amp are the lag on the preset change and the non-solid construction, but is a lot cheaper than the Pod (at least here) and the sounds are excellent for the prize.

Anyway I prefer the analog distorsions over the digital ones. I used an MXR distortion and I didn't find any digital preset better than it.

Thanks Allfader. I only use it for recording, so I'm thinking about upgrading sometime soon perhaps. If I got a decent tube pre-amp it would massage my tone nicely, I've done that in the past and it worked out very nicely.