Vintersorg - Solens Rötter

George

Jun 17, 2004
CT, USA
Vintersorg - Solens Rötter
Napalm Records - NPR 211 - May 22, 2007
By George Grant

211vintersorg.jpg

I’ll admit it; I’m a Vintersorg fanboy. Just about everything this man creates I’ll love. Needless to say I was very excited with the approach of his new album, Solens Rötter. After Mr. V stated that there would be a larger folk influence as well as all Swedish lyrics on the album, many were quick to jump to conclusions. Even Napalm Records seemed to get caught up in the band’s supposed “Folk Revival.” They went as far as putting a sticker on the album’s case that states, “Nordic folk metal comeback of the year.” Sorry to upset some readers, but this is not so. Vintersorg is still a forward thinking band.

The guitar riffs used throughout the album will no doubt dismiss any rumors of a Till Fjälls II. These guitar parts are still firmly rooted in the style used in The Focusing Blur and Visions from the Spiral Generator. This isn’t to say that Solens Rötter is as spacey or quirky as said albums. The futuristic keyboard moments found on the recent albums have been replaced with more symphonic touches, such as flutes and choirs. Surprisingly, the choirs used have the same epic quality as the more recent Graveland albums, but used more conservatively. The acoustic moments, that have always been apart of the Vintersorg equation, are utilized more frequently than any of the more recent albums as well.

Also, Mr. V has toned down his vocals. Instead of pushing his vocals to what I like to call “mad scientist” moments, mostly heard on The Focusing Blur, he has focused on the more epic qualities of his voice. This change in vocal performance has brought the infectious melodies to the forefront. I also noticed that his higher range has become much stronger. The chorus on 'Perfektionisten' showcases his ability to control his vocals better than any album before. I attribute this to the change in languages.

I will admit that there was one moment on the album that did have me thinking back to Till Fjälls. The vocal part of the bridge section in 'Idétemplet' will remind Vintersorg die-hards of the bridge in 'För Kung och Fosterland.' However, that’s just one small section, and it hardly merits the album to be labeled a comeback.

With the departure of Steve DiGiorgio and Asgeir Mickelson many were wondering if Mr.V would be able to live up the previous albums. Luckily, the magic is still there. By introducing his folk influences more, while still looking forward, Vintersorg has created an album that will please die-hards and new fans alike.

Official Vintersorg Website
Official Naplam Records Website

i almost picked this up the other day but was hesitant, i think ill grab it now.

Good review. I think its a fantastic album. Though the drum programming is some of the best Mr V. has ever done, I still wish Asgeir worked on this album. I was spoiled after having him play on the previous releases. Definitely some great songs filled with the melodies that Vintersorg fans come to expect. One of my favorite releases in the past year.