A question for Mr. V and Mattias regarding instrumentation on Jordpuls

karpsmom

May 25, 2005
New Jersey, USA
Hey guys!

Thanks for another AMAZING album. If you wouldn't mind sharing some details I'd love to pick your brains.

I'm just curious how you handled recording on this record.

Were all of the guitars direct input/virtual amplification or did you actually play out of mic'ed amps?

Was the bass direct or played out of an amp?

What did you use as far as software for the drum programming and synths?

Of course I understand if you want to keep any of this a secret, but I'm very curious nonetheless since your production is always so perfect and your tones are always so beautiful!

-Steve

If not, then maybe...
guitar -> [???] -> amplifier ->

And I'm not sure about:
(a) frequency shift
(b) frequency conversion
(c) frequency division
(d) frequency whatever

Or maybe it was: Frequency Band Shift Option.

Of course there is a posibility it was such a joke: bass guitar is also guitar.

[Drop dead]

I agree partly with those who say some of the synthesizer/keyboard stuff can be a bit to much. Sometimes it works and sometimes it's overblown.

In my opinion I would love Vintersorg to borrow talent to bring authentic folk instruments into a few songs. Violin and flutes preferably(ex Otyg members as guests?).

Fans.. nasty whiners aren't we...

Djöfull;9738629 said:
In my opinion I would love Vintersorg to borrow talent to bring authentic folk instruments into a few songs. Violin and flutes preferably(ex Otyg members as guests?).
i couldn't agree more. Although somehow i don't see that happening, unless Andreas finds a challenge in playing those instruments himself :p

Djöfull;9738629 said:
I agree partly with those who say some of the synthesizer/keyboard stuff can be a bit to much. Sometimes it works and sometimes it's overblown.

Fans.. nasty whiners aren't we...

Nasty whiners! Yeah, it'd be great if he used real instruments (e.g. drummer) instead of synths. But as you said, that's just us whining.

The drum sounds very good. I can't understand why people are complaining about Jordpuls and not for the first 4 productions where the drum machine is far more obvious.

The bass sounds fine and it's very creative - not like SDG lines but creative for folk/black metal standards. What I would like to hear is Vargher' keys on a new Vintersorg album. He added a very majestic and old vibe to the old albums (Maybe Lazare can do it too?)

The drum sounds very good. I can't understand why people are complaining about Jordpuls and not for the first 4 productions where the drum machine is far more obvious.

Haha I often wonder this also. The drum programming on the last 2 albums sounds really incredible I think. I'm curious what software he uses. I have a vague memory (perhaps I imagined it) of him saying he used Logic Pro's drum programming for Solens. I know he said he used the V-Amp 2 for guitars on Solens, I wonder if he used this again for Jordpuls.

It would be pretty cool if he and Mattias got some outside help with various instruments, but it seems for now they are interested in handling everything with just the 2 of them. The last couple of albums have all had session musicians, so it probably feels a bit relaxing to just do it all on their own.

I hope Mr. V chimes in on this thread!

Djöfull;9738629 said:

I wonder if he is still in touch with the old Otyg members... it would be so cool if they got all natural instruments. It's somewhat ironic how they're such a nature oriented band yet so much of their instrumentation is virtual/artificial.

On the album Fylgja which will be released soon, I programmed the drums, and then I found a drummer who played after my programming.
But on the next album, I want to keep the programmed drums, which gives me total control of the beats, but I´m worried about the drumprogramming taboo.
I shouldn´t be worried I think. Many years ago people complained about keyboards, and now noone cares if the strings aren´t from real violins.

On the album Fylgja which will be released soon, I programmed the drums, and then I found a drummer who played after my programming.
But on the next album, I want to keep the programmed drums, which gives me total control of the beats, but I´m worried about the drumprogramming taboo.
I shouldn´t be worried I think. Many years ago people complained about keyboards, and now noone cares if the strings aren´t from real violins.

If you feel more comfortable with programmed drums, don't hesitate!!

It's better a well programmed drums than shitty human drums... IMO :D

Hey guys!

Thanks for another AMAZING album. If you wouldn't mind sharing some details I'd love to pick your brains.

I'm just curious how you handled recording on this record.

Were all of the guitars direct input/virtual amplification or did you actually play out of mic'ed amps?

Was the bass direct or played out of an amp?

What did you use as far as software for the drum programming and synths?

Of course I understand if you want to keep any of this a secret, but I'm
very curious nonetheless since your production is always so perfect and your tones are always so beautiful!

-Steve

We use both software and hardware when it comes to keyboards...som sample libraries as well. Gitars was all Amp this time, a Marshall. Bass was both direct and amp. Drums area mix of several drum tools..one of them is Addicitve Drums.

mr V

We use both software and hardware when it comes to keyboards...som sample libraries as well. Gitars was all Amp this time, a Marshall. Bass was both direct and amp. Drums area mix of several drum tools..one of them is Addicitve Drums.

mr V

Wow real bass and guitars!!!!

Very awesome!

Addictive drums, I'm intrigued!

Thank you!