Pedal Suggestion?

Similar to ABQ, my setup is direct from Guitar (Jackson SL custom/Schecter C1 Hellraiser) to amp (Marshall AVT150H, 1960A 4x12") with minimal fx loop processing. Eventually I plan to get a better Marshall head, but this sounds far, FAR better than my GT6 in conjunction with the Marshall or my Crate xt65 1x12".

I will take all that into consideration. To go more in depth of the tone I am looking for...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSaJ94B2uj4
I have messaged the guy to find out how he got his tone, but he hasn't responded, and I messaged him a month ago. My current setup is an Ibanez RG-220B With Original Floyd Rose, Dimarzio X2N in the Bridge, and Tone Zone in the Neck, and a Roland Cube 30 Amp. Does anyone know how to get that tone the guy has in the video? Or something close to it? (I don't mean how do I get the tone with my current setup, I mean how do I get that tone in general?)

On tone - You could play through any of the above mentioned muso's gear, and you won't sound like them. A fair amount of tone is generated by the player's fingers. There's a cool vid of an in-store promo clinic thing from Mattias Eklundh while he was out promoting "Move". It's his Caparison guitar through a Gorilla amp, and a "Fatal Tube" Russian made distortion pedal. It sounds JUST like IA. At Prog Power, he had 2 Laney half stacks (his preferred amp) and it sounded JUST like IA. Some of the best advice given to me was from IA, and it was "grow your own mustache, not someone elses" I have a friend who adores the Tri-Axis tones from MJR, he fought for over a year to get CLOSE to that tone, and has since given up.

On amps - Don't knock modeling amps. If you want a variety of tones, and everything in one unit, they're not THAT bad! I'm a dyed in the wool tube guy, and would I rather be playing through my departed Marshall, and Mesa Boogie MK IV? You bet I would, but instead of doing without an amp, I picked up a Line 6 Flextone II, and for my current needs, it fits me quite well. It offers excellent recording abilities as well, plus, my neighbors like me a lot better now too!

I guess what I'm trying to say here is don't blow wads of cash trying to sound just like (insert favorite guitar player here), Find something that is in your price range, and more importantly, what sounds goof to YOU.

J-Dubya

you can get this tone from the video with almost every tube amp.

as good as modelling is, it just starts at 1000+ $ (line 6 hd147/vetta (II) ; H&K Zentera) / yamaha)

The cube is not bad, but you'll hear the difference when you play a tube amp.

good tube amps under 1000 $

are e.g.

ENGL Thunder/Screamer
VOX AC-30
CRATE V-3112
Marshall dsl-401
Laney vc-30
peavey classic 30

if this is too expensive try out some hybrid-amps,

such as...

laney tf(x) , lv
marshall avt

go in a shop and try them out

I think what we're all talking about here is equalization. Play with the highs, mids, and lows to dial in the tone balance you are looking for. If you wish to replicate a player's tone, find his/her settings on the equipment they are using and use those eq settings as a starting point. Play with the eq on your set up until you dial in somewhere close to the tone you seek.

My Crate G212 I purchased back in the '80s was pretty thin on sound until I moved a DOD eq pedal from the front of the amp and stuck it in the pseudo effects loop (really just a send and return between the combo amp's pre- and power amps). The tonal flexibilities I opened up sounded absolutely killer.

Use your current setup and spend a lot of time moving dials. You'd be amazed at the tonal possibilities you might find.

wchuck said:
you can get this tone from the video with almost every tube amp.

as good as modelling is, it just starts at 1000+ $ (line 6 hd147/vetta (II) ; H&K Zentera) / yamaha)

I paid $225USD for my used Flextone II, and $100USD for the floorboard.
Best $325 I EVER spent.

I think the modelling amps are getting better, but NOTHING sounds like tubes, except, tubes!

J-Dubya

BucketBanger9000 said:
Shit, Fatal Tube seems like a good buy. But I need a tube amp first, right?

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the Gorilla is all solid state.
I could be wrong.... Just have to find the right combo.
My old JCM 800 sounded like dog crap with a ds-1, but when I went for a 10 band eq, and an original tube screamer, it was the difference between night & day...

J-Dubya

J-Dubya 777 said:
I think the modelling amps are getting better, but NOTHING sounds like tubes, except, tubes!

J-Dubya
the reason for this primarily has to do with transistor saturation characteristics (the distortion curve) and the amplification of odd vs even harmonics. however, i might be working on this problem for my senior design.