Boss SD-1 Yes/No? Or TS7?

How? You got any schematics?

Can anyone please comment on the bypass of the SD-1 and the TS7? I won't be using them "on" all the time so that matters quite a lot actually.

I wouldn't worry about the bypass.
All the negative stuff you hear about pedals not having "tr00" bypass is mainly just a lot of bullshit that vintage snobs have invented in their own snobby, elitist minds.
There are plenty of pedals that don't have true bypass that will sound completely fine in any rig

i ussualy use my sd-1 for metal stuff, yes it cut a bit in low range..that i actually really fit to play thrashy song..cos sd-1 give a barking harsh sound.

actually sd-1 not to be compared with ts7..did you ever compare with mxr zakk wylde? ...it's almost the same, but with better quality and give some tight low

whats with the "the SD-1 cuts more bass"? yes it CAN cut more bass, but if it is too much or sounds too harsh, TURN THE TONE KNOB DOWN!!! Its that simple.

The big mod that I can think of would be to increase the input buffer's emitter resistor to a 1M, that will prevent any tone alterations from an ill loading effect. There is a Keeley mod that will prevent a small amount of the wet signal leaking through when the pedal is in bypass, which is one transistor and one cap, and the TS9 spec is really hugely a matter of removing the cap in the filter stage op amp feedback and removing one of the diodes in the clipping stage op amp feedback.

The SD-1 tends to have a bit more bite and rolls off some low-end. Which is what you want sometimes for high-gain stuff to keep things from getting muddy and distorting frequencies you can't hear. TS-9/7/808 tends to be more smooth. The schematics are very similar and it would be "easy" to mod them if you know what you are doing.

I built my own TS-9 from scratch with switches for different mods to make it more 808, or more bite, or more tube-like distortion with LED's, or just stock.

I like both and use both for different things. Depends on the amp, tuning, mix, etc.

Another one to check out is the Digitech Bad Monkey. Essentially a TS-9 with bass and treble controls compared to just a "tone" knob.

On the other cheap, the Danelectro stuff I like a lot. Behringer's clones are spot on as well.

Go read JBrolls article on the TS7 in the production forum :lol:

That should tell you pretty much everything about TS7's

My tech said the SD-1 lacks bass and sounds a little bit harsh but it could be modded (to Keeley specs). He also said that the TS7's bypass sucks. My local shop doesn't carry the TS7 so I can't compare the two pedals. As I don't really have any experience with overdrive pedals I'm asking you guys what you think.

WTF?
The SD-1 has MORE bass then most other tubescreamers, thats one of the reasons i prefer it over the TS-series.
The SD-1 seems to boost the 800-1200hz area and cut the >80hz area, whereas the TS-9 seems to boost the 1000-1500hz area and cut the >120hz area, so its a little bit thinner/brighter sounding then the SD-1.
My personal opinion is that the SD-1 kind of melts together with the amps own distortion, while the TS-9 adds a new character to it(Which necessarily isnt a bad thing.).
Another way to look at it is that the TS-9 would be better for downtuned guitars, and the SD-1 is better for standard tuning.

actually sd-1 not to be compared with ts7..did you ever compare with mxr zakk wylde? ...it's almost the same, but with better quality and give some tight low

The MXR Zakk Wylde is the SD-1 with symmetrical clipping(Essentially a TS-9.).

(Edited TS-808 to TS-9, massive fail.)

Japan:

boss_sd1_japan_04.jpg

Taiwan:

boss_sd1_03.jpg

I've owned both, modded the SD-1 to Keeley specs after having it for a year and finally just sold it. It was ok, but tended to be a bit harsh and I really didn't care for it as a boost or overdrive into my XXX. What drove me crazy about it though is it's bypass. Playing on the clean channel with it in bypass mode, you can still hear it. Adds buzzing or something to the high end. I haven't experienced the TS-7 doing anything remotely similar. I also like the TS-7's two modes; can get a nice light overdrive or a pretty heavy overdrive out of it on the clean channel. Then again, I've heard people liking the SD-1 and JCM combo.

I've owned both, modded the SD-1 to Keeley specs after having it for a year and finally just sold it. It was ok, but tended to be a bit harsh and I really didn't care for it as a boost or overdrive into my XXX. What drove me crazy about it though is it's bypass. Playing on the clean channel with it in bypass mode, you can still hear it. Adds buzzing or something to the high end. I haven't experienced the TS-7 doing anything remotely similar. I also like the TS-7's two modes; can get a nice light overdrive or a pretty heavy overdrive out of it on the clean channel. Then again, I've heard people liking the SD-1 and JCM combo.

Sounds like the Taiwan model?
Its a little bit thinner/harsher sounding, and the bypass is a bit gritty.

How do I figure out wether I'm about to buy a Japan or a Taiwan version when I'm in the store? (Besides a sucky bypass; Not all of them might be having that?)

Exactly what am I supposed to notice as different between those two pictures? :lol: (besides the color of the PCB, which might just be from the flash)

Some small differences.
If you look at D3/R31 on the Taiwan model(At the top of the PCB.), you'll see that they removed a resistor and a diode.
I dont know much about electronics, so i cant really say what they do though.

PedalArea said:
A closer inspection nevertheless reveals some differences. The circuit boards are made of different material, the older one being dark brown, whereas the never ones are significantly lighter. Many capacitors are completely different and from different manufacturers, some of the transistors are from different manufacturers and are of different type and the resistors in Japanese version are larger than in the Taiwanese version. The components used in the Japanese version seem to be high quality components and thier assembly is accurate and clean, whereas in the Taiwanese version the legs of the components are bent unevenly and the solderings are less consistent, maybe due to cost savings in the mass production lines.

How do I figure out wether I'm about to buy a Japan or a Taiwan version when I'm in the store? (Besides a sucky bypass; Not all of them might be having that?)

If its new, its Taiwan.
The Japanese model was pre-1990, so you will have to buy one used.
Im actually using the Taiwan version at the moment, because i got it for like 25$ in mint condition in the original box.
But the my next guitar-related purchase will be the Japanese model, then i will use my Taiwan for my evil experiments. :heh:

But tbh, the bypass isnt THAT bad, but i can imagine that if you use EMG's it might be more noticeable.

In a prior incarnation of my rig I had a TS-7, TS-9 and an SD-1 all working as boosters for my Marshall 6100LM head. The SD-1 has less of a upper mid hump and bass rolloff in comparison to the Tube Screamers. It is also louder and has a more aggressive gain structure. I tended to use the SD-1 for my rhythm tones and the Screamers for leads. The buffered bypass isn't really an issue.

Well, I'm using an SH-4 in standard tuning so hopefully the bypass issue wouldn't be too bad. Hope to get by the shop to try one out soon once I find the time/money.