Boss SD-1 Yes/No? Or TS7?

HeadCrusher

Mar 20, 2002
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a Boss SD-1 to boost my JCM 800 2210 with. Unfortunetaly I have to remain within a ~50 Euro budget for this so afaik the only alternative would be an Ibanez TS7.

My tech said the SD-1 lacks bass and sounds a little bit harsh but it could be modded (to Keeley specs). He also said that the TS7's bypass sucks. My local shop doesn't carry the TS7 so I can't compare the two pedals. As I don't really have any experience with overdrive pedals I'm asking you guys what you think.

In general I like the feel of Boss pedals and I could power the SD-1 from my TU-2. Don't really know about the Ibanez stuff.

I would like to use the pedal to get four instead of two sounds out of my amp.
  1. Clean sound (Amp)
  2. Pushed clean sound (Amp's clean channel + Overdrive)
  3. Overdrive/Distortion (Amp)
  4. Pushed Overdrive/Distortion (Amp's overdrive channel + Overdrive; For solo boosts or when more distortion is needed during certain parts)
Any suggestions?

Never tryed a TS7 but I have a TS9...
You can power this with a TU2 without any problem. Probably same for TS7 (boss like pin btw);)

I use a sd1 with my 6505...the other guitar player in the band uses a ts9 with his triple rec.
We did put them side by side, the sd1 was adding some bite and dirt where the ts9 just did the filtering thing ( at zero drive). I couldn't even push the drive on the sd1 because of crazy feedback, where the ts9 didn't added as much apparent drive.

Sorry if it sounds like a contradicition, but it's my experience with them :)

Iirc someone on here once said that the SD-1 is pretty close to the TS9 in terms of schematics but I can't remember who said that and wether or not the forum has come to the conclusion that this is true or not.

I have a JCM800 and tried a lot of boosts. Do you get BBE Green Screamers over there? They can be snagged for cheap used and for the lower priced ones I treid out that was the best.

The top 2 i tried are CMATMODS Tube Slammer and a Maxon od9. If you want BASS I discovered a snarling dogs very tone is a baaadass boost if you switch off all the options and just volume boost it. Really thickens up the JCM for me.

i would say save up and get both very good pedals...i have a ts7 now and going to get a boss too.....get them used very cheap!

I have a JCM800 and tried a lot of boosts. Do you get BBE Green Screamers over there? They can be snagged for cheap used and for the lower priced ones I treid out that was the best.
Yeah, BBEs can be ordered but the Screamer is twice my budget. :erk:

This particular CMATMODS pedal you named doesn't seem to be available though.

There's some interesting things on the SD-1 in the Tubescreamer FAQ in the Production sub forum btw. (And of course on the TS7 as well.)

SD1 is a bit more harsh than the TS9, and IMO it eats even more low end. However, I think it actually sounds just as good as the TS9 with a 2210 ...different, but good. I prefer TS9 with any other amp. Somehow they just seem to work really well with JCM800's.

I've got an SD-1. I don't like it. I'm surprised so many people like it, to me it is excellent for playing blues and that about it. I never use it. I like the OS-2 overdrive way more plus you can dial in some distortion if you need it.

I've been using an SD-1 with my block letter for years and I am TOTALLY jonesing for a TS-7!!! Not complaining about the SD-1 at all, mind you, I like it LOTS...for $40 I could have thrown a TS-7 in the mix anytime, never felt the urge/need...
until now.
great.
want.

I have a TS7 which I modded to TS808 spec, using only 2 resistors and 10 minutes of my time. Total cost was $65 AUD, including shipping from eBay. Otherwise, $150AUD in stores.

It was either that, or pay $400AUD in-store for an actual TS808.

Fuck you, Australia. Just fuck you.