Boss sd-1, have I lost my mind?? The story of my day....

I get to break this pup out today for its first full band practice, Im interested to see if it really adds the definition I think it will, at the low to medium volumes ive been using it at its really giving my palm mutes some sweet cut, Being that this thread is still kind of alive Ill be sure to post my impressions, you just never know untill thunderbutt the magical cymbal basher and slash show up. The day I picked up the SD-1 I also happend upon a used electro harmonix stereo pulsar for like 30 dollars, I like my EH delay, so Ill be sure to warble out some of my clean parts, should be rad.....

FWIW I don't hate Boss as a whole. I think their COSM stuff leaves much to be desired and I never disliked a pedals sound as much as I did the DS-1 but those are mere matters of preference. I had heard the SD-1 was basically a tube screamer before. I wouldn't mind having one. Most of their stuff is very good for the money. Maybe too many people just tend to think that "I don't like it' = 'That product is complete junk' rather than = 'That's just not for me...'

If you don't like the DS-1 there's a combination of 'change these caps into those and cut that resistor' and 'you're doing it wrong' at play. I guaranfuckingtee it. Insanely versatile pedal.

Jeff

Steve Vai played an Ecstacy? Damn, that's news to me (I was never an expert on his rigs, but I wasn't oblivious either) - when was this?

yeah... that's why the carvin legacy is sometimes called "the poor man's bogner ecstacy" by some people. It's supposedly based on the ecstacy.

and I've heard he's used both stock sd-1s and keeley modded sd-1s... I think that he went back to just the stock ones after a while.

there's also tons of high profile guys that use tubescreamers as boosts... then you have meshuggah with the tc preamps... the whole arguement about "putting a cheap pedal in front of an expensive amp" is BS. if it sounds good, it sounds good, and that's all that should matter...

yeah... that's why the carvin legacy is sometimes called "the poor man's bogner ecstacy" by some people. It's supposedly based on the ecstacy.

and I've heard he's used both stock sd-1s and keeley modded sd-1s... I think that he went back to just the stock ones after a while.

there's also tons of high profile guys that use tubescreamers as boosts... then you have meshuggah with the tc preamps... the whole arguement about "putting a cheap pedal in front of an expensive amp" is BS. if it sounds good, it sounds good, and that's all that should matter...

+1

Don't forget about the Maxon as well. Lot's of guys with those in front of $3000 heads these days. Devin Townsend swears by it in the studio.

Didn't Vai track and tour for Passion and Warfare with the Bogner Ecstasy?

If you don't like the DS-1 there's a combination of 'change these caps into those and cut that resistor' and 'you're doing it wrong' at play. I guaranfuckingtee it. Insanely versatile pedal.

Jeff

I won't deny that there might have been some of the latter though I played around with it for about an hour. As for modding, I didn't wanna have to go there. I was trying to use it as an actual preamp/distortion and I think perhaps it might have been better suited to augment a preamp rather than being the preamp. I've only recently even pondered that idea. I always thought a preamp was a preamp / a pedal is a preamp... or something like that. I never really considered using a boost/od in front of a preamp. Historically I've never needed to but I've been hungry for some new tonal possibilities. Kinda retarded I admit since I've read numerous articles over the last 15+ years with guitar players talking about their TS/boost, etc.

Me dumb. Not know stuff good. :err::erk::dopey:

That's why I'm here though, learning...

Do you think a Boss HM-2 might be similar to a SD-1 or tubescreamer if used as a boost? I don't have a tubescreamer or sd-1 to test it, but I have the HM-2

nope HM2 is allout nasty distortion/fuzz

i've got an SD1, maxon OD9, and a bad monkey, al three just variations on the same theme...

can't say the maxon is any better then the other two, just different.

Do you think a Boss HM-2 might be similar to a SD-1 or tubescreamer if used as a boost? I don't have a tubescreamer or sd-1 to test it, but I have the HM-2

I don't... no. The HM-2 is part of a newer breed of pedals that are designed to run into a clean channel. The TS's and SD-1's are designed as an alternative to "hot-rodding" your amp. When the Tubesceamer and the Super Overdrive came out, a lot of people were still playing the old Plexi heads, and not everyone could afford to take their amp out to LA and have it modded by "EVH's guy" or whoever.

The HM-2 is really, just a very very mid-range-oriented Distortion pedal. You can try it, but I doubt you get anything out of it that even remotely resembles these other pedals. However... That being said... If it sounds good, it sounds good. :)

"newer breed of pedals"? o_O

What do you mean? They stopped making this pedal in 1991.

I've never used a tubescreamer or anything, so I can't compare the sound :)

The HM-2 however sounds incredible.

"newer breed of pedals"? o_O

What do you mean? They stopped making this pedal in 1991.

I've never used a tubescreamer or anything, so I can't compare the sound :)

The HM-2 however sounds incredible.

They did not stop making the Heavy Metal pedal in '91. I bought more than one of them, brand new, in '97 and '98. They might have STARTED making the damn thing in '91. That's a definite possibility.

I'm not saying anything about the sound of the HM-2. I'm saying that the HM-2 wasn't DESIGNED for boosting an amp. It was designed to run into a clean channel and "take over". The SD-1 and TS's are WAY older than the HM-2 and were geared towards people who wanted to get that "hot-rodded" tube amp sound from the late 70's and early 80's.

In either case, 'new breed' doesn't make as much sense as 'different type'. And that's still not very clear, because a lot of boosts were intended to also double as a passable overdrive through the clean channel. Further, straight-out fuzz boxes are about as old as, if not older than, amp boosts. Just say that it's a distortion unit on its own, and not a pedal designed to supplement another distortion unit and we'll all be better off.

Jeff

In either case, 'new breed' doesn't make as much sense as 'different type'. And that's still not very clear, because a lot of boosts were intended to also double as a passable overdrive through the clean channel. Further, straight-out fuzz boxes are about as old as, if not older than, amp boosts. Just say that it's a distortion unit on its own, and not a pedal designed to supplement another distortion unit and we'll all be better off.

Jeff

So true... I was just trying to find laymen's terms for getting the point across.

They did not stop making the Heavy Metal pedal in '91. I bought more than one of them, brand new, in '97 and '98. They might have STARTED making the damn thing in '91. That's a definite possibility.

I'm not saying anything about the sound of the HM-2. I'm saying that the HM-2 wasn't DESIGNED for boosting an amp. It was designed to run into a clean channel and "take over". The SD-1 and TS's are WAY older than the HM-2 and were geared towards people who wanted to get that "hot-rodded" tube amp sound from the late 70's and early 80's.
I'm not doubting the whole thing about the HM-2 not being designed for a boost. Was just curious, as I don't have a TS9 or such to compare.

As for when the HM-2 was made and sold - http://www.bossarea.com/loadpage.asp?file=boxes/hm2.xml

Discontinued in '91