effects

War_Blade

Feb 8, 2006
planet troll
i was wondering what effect pedal/stomp boxes you guys use.

Right now i only have a boss metal zone, but i am in the market for a wah, noise reducer, and a overdrive pedal, any suggestions?

Until I got my Line 6 head, here's how I got my kickass sound:

Guitar --> Dunlop Crybaby --> Marshall Jackhammer --> Digitech Weapon --> Boss GE7 EQ --> Boss RV2 Reverb

Occasionally, I'll throw my MXR Phase 90 into the mix for fun. Not so much anymore though.

Well, the noise reduction is a no brainer, the boss NS-2 (around $75) is the classic noise supressor that a lot of people use, including Yngwie, who uses 2 in his chain. Another great one is the Rocktron HUSH (around $50-75) pedal. For years, pro's have been using the hush in there racks, and reciently rocktron came out with the pedal version, which is great, and so simple a caveman could use it (one knob, one switch, dur)..The difference between the two is that the NS-2 is a lot more tweakable.

Now with OD pedals and Wah's, you have a lot more options open to you, and this is where it gets tricky. You need to find something that sounds good to you, so you really need to try out tons of pedals at your local music store. If you don't want to do this, you could get, as a few people already mentioned, the all-in-one units like the ME-6 and Line6 POD XT live are great places to start.

However, all of this is all well and good, but if you dont have a good amp to begin with, it isnt going to make your sound any better,infact you may end up sounding worse then when you started. What amp are you using right now?

I currently have 5 OD pedals in my collection: DOD YJM308, Marshall DriveMaster, Ibanez TS-808RI, Danelectro Daddy-o and a Boss SD-1.

The first one, the DOD YJM 308 is my favorite and the one I have used the most. This pedal adds a lot of punch and harmonics to your guitar output, without coloring it to much. A bit noisy at higher gain settings, which is why Yngwie runs 2 NS-2's after it. Great OD pedal for only $40.

I also have a Marshall Drivemaster which was my first OD pedal. It has a similar tone to the 308, but a bit more defined and crunchy due to the 3 band EQ. A fairly rare pedal nowadays, glad I kept it. they go for around $80-100 depending on condition.

Ibanez have made some great pedals over the years, including what is known to be the "Holy Grail" of OD pedals, the TS-808, of which I have the reissue. So far, I really like it, its a bit more transparent than the 308 with a little less bottom end and smother gain, and fairly quiet. Quite expensive though at $160, but cheaper than the origional 808's which have been going for $400+.

The Daddy-O and SD-1 are fairly similar in tone. The SD-1 is closer to the 808 and 308, and the daddy-o is more torwards the Drivemaster, however, these 2 pedals have a more brown tone to them. I dont use them much. The plus side to them is that there both cheap. ($40ish)

Wah pedals are another pain in the butt. Morley and Dunlop probably make the best. Dunlop crybabys are the set standard when it comes to wah. They tend to be very vocal and harsh with a wide EQ sweep. They all have the nose down button, which I personally dont care for anymore.

Morley wahs are a totally different animal. There wahs tend to have more subtle tone with less coloring and less sweep. There wahs feature one of the greatest innovations of any wah pedals, the switchless optical sensors which are found in the Bad Horsie 1 and 2. Earlier wah's had an external stomp switch, but are still optical.

damn, your an abundent source of knowledge...

Right now im using a marshall SS (i saving for a tube), which as been serving me well since i bought it about a month ago after using a crate SS.

Im pretty sure im gonna go with dunlop, i have played the bad horsie 1 and the orginal crybaby, i felt the crybaby is more of the sound i want.
Soon i have to do some little show and play enter sandman, so i need a wah for the solo before then. (I orginally wanted to play i am a viking from yngwie, but i dont think i have enough time to get it down perfectly)

I need to go to GC to try out those ibanez pedals

thx for the info

i advise also to compare the price of the number of options you want.

for example if you just want an OD pedal, thats gonna cost you about $20-$100. You probably shouldn't get a GT-6 or GT-8 if that's your aim, since that thing costs $400-$500.

However, If you're going to go postal like RobbM did, I WOULD suggest a master multiFX box instead, because the total cost will be less than if you buy all the pedals individually. Additionally, you will save battery costs, patch cable nightmares, and have only one thing to worry about transporting.

Of course the best and most expensive option of all is to go with a rack unit. But unless you plan to go on tour or make music your life's work, I wouldn't advise dropping thousands of dollars on effects.

Kenneth R. said:
i advise also to compare the price of the number of options you want.

for example if you just want an OD pedal, thats gonna cost you about $20-$100. You probably shouldn't get a GT-6 or GT-8 if that's your aim, since that thing costs $400-$500.

However, If you're going to go postal like RobbM did, I WOULD suggest a master multiFX box instead, because the total cost will be less than if you buy all the pedals individually. Additionally, you will save battery costs, patch cable nightmares, and have only one thing to worry about transporting.

Of course the best and most expensive option of all is to go with a rack unit. But unless you plan to go on tour or make music your life's work, I wouldn't advise dropping thousands of dollars on effects.

Well for me, guitar is just the best thing in the world, so yeah im willing to spend money...

The only thing about those multi-effect units i found is that the quality is alot less, then buying indivual pedals. Although there is alot of fun things to play with on them like banjo setting and stuff.

I have a zoom 707II. It has HEAPS of FX and the distortion is killer. You can fully customise every effect and put on stuff like compression/isolator, and all the standard stuff like reverb, chorus, wah etc. It also has amp simulation which is kinda cool. I'm not sure what other multi-fx do as a standard thing, but i have tried out quite a few and they suck really bad. Korg is definately über-shit.

707II pwns metalzone for distortion ;).

Boss ME-8 , was my first effects unit , its essentially like 16 or so Boss pedals in a digital unit.. very good for the price. Now I just use my Line 6 built in effects on the head.

In all honesty, I would get a new amp before sinking a few hundred bucks into FXs..you can have $10,000 worth of stomp boxes and rack gear, and still sound like shit if your amp is shit...

No effects for me. Just my guitar into my amp head (Line6 HD147). I don't really use any effects on that, other than some chorusing on my clean tone. I also use a wah and whammy pedal from time to time.

Well my effects list are as follows

tc electronic g-major
rocktron intellifex
morley bad horsie II
little alligator
digitech whammy
boss DS-1 'ultra'-modded by robert keeley
MT-2 'twilght'-again modded by mr. keeley
CH-1-yet again modded by our man rob
dunlop crybaby 535q
crybaby from hell
mxr wylde overdrive (not too bad, got it as a gift from a friend who is obsessed about zakk)

I love Robert Keeley pedals!! My other guitarrist has a Keeley DS1 and a Flanger, and they're rediculous.

War_Blade said:
Well for me, guitar is just the best thing in the world, so yeah im willing to spend money...

The only thing about those multi-effect units i found is that the quality is alot less, then buying indivual pedals. Although there is alot of fun things to play with on them like banjo setting and stuff.
as far as the boss ones go, they use the same parameters and tech so they are essentially the same quality.

obviously something like TC electronics G major is superior but at an increase in price lol