effecient amp to use effects with

bball_1523

Nov 23, 2003
Southern California
Visit site
What is a good efficient and reliable amp that has good clean, good enough distortion, and is a great amp to use multi-effects and/or stomp box effect pedals? I'm looking to spend around 300-500 bucks for an amp that's around 100 watts or so.

I'm not a professional not am I a technical sound whore. I just want a good priced amp that I can play with drummers and other guitarists, and that can let me hear effects from multi-effects processors and stomp boxes, cleanly.

One question - why would you want to spend cheaply on the amplifier only to hear the effects in front? I personally would rather spend higher dollars on a great amp (combo or head) to get a great sounding amp and then put minimal effects in front of it (or in the effects loop).

Look for something used if you are under a strict budget.

I say go solid-state. For your purposes, it won't be a mistake, and you'll easily be able to find something in your price range. Specific recommendations? Marshall Valvestate amps are good, for example...

the thing is I'm not a professional here and I'm gonna be playing live tomorrow or whatever. I just wanna mess around for my own tastes. I don't want to buy an amp that dies out after month, neither do I want one that has horrible cleans and won't even play the effects correctly. I want effects because I want to experiment with them and I want an amp that can let me use outside stomps (not on the amp) effects.

My budget is tight, but I don't know if I can trust used products. If you guys know any hotspots other than ebay to find RELIABLE used amps, please let me know! lol

I have a fender frontman 38 watt practice amp, and the cleans are good enough for me but the watts concerns me when I want to use effects. I've never tried effects on my amp, but I don't wanna take the risk and buy a 400 dollar multi-fx unit that won't work properly on my amp. My distortion is pretty good, but gets muddy so I want an amp that will let me tweak distortion with multi-fx units. I'd also like a nice distortion that isn't muddy but has a nice metal sound to it.

you should run multi-effects through the back, not the front. this means look for an amp that has an fx-in and a fx-out on the back. most stores have used amps that you can play so you know that they work.

as for price, again i'd suggest looking more into the amp than the effects as a good amp will sound great with crap effects but a crap amp will always sound like a crap amp.

Echo Silent Song.

The amp will work with whatever is put into it, meaning any signal sent into the amplifier will be amplified (duh) and sent through the speakers. This amplification then becomes the most important box in the chain and will affect the sound the most, regardless of what is put in front of it (or behind it through the FX loop).

For distortion, I highly recommend the Chandler Tube Driver. It's out of production, but very available on eBay. I prefer the rack mount, but the pedal is great as well. Satch used the unit back in the '80's, and it's a staple of Gilmour's tone as well.

We have a store around here called Music Go 'Round. They only deal in used instruments and usually have a good stock of great used gear. I could lose my bank in that place. I bought a pristine RG520QS with an oiled finish that is out of this world. If you are concerned about life expectancy, check the shop's return policy. If they don't have one, don't buy from them.

From you last comment, you don't want to risk a 400 dollar multi-fx unit that won't work properly on your amp. I would have kept the $400 and used it in my amp budget. You can get great amps with on-board fx these days (Line 6, Fender, Crate, etc.) that are sounding nearly phenomenal. But, now that you have a $400 unit and you want to pair it with a great amp, your choices still aren't that limited. Hit your local shop and play through the amps. Ask if you can hook up your unit to play through. You're the buyer - if they won't accommodate your trials, they shouldn't get your money. Plug into a Mesa, and then start saving your money haha. You can settle for a Crate in the meantime.

Of course, your live situation dictates the power you'll need. If you are playing through a PA, you could probably get by with your Frontman mic'ed through the PA. Try it out and see what happens. Otherwise, you need to get a better idea of the power requirements. Sixty Watts is probably sufficient, but who can resist 100?

ABQShredHead said:
Ask if you can hook up your unit to play through. You're the buyer - if they won't accommodate your trials, they shouldn't get your money.
Echo ABQShredHead. :lol:

Always do that!! Its no good trying out gear on a rig far better or far worse than your own. you aren't getting an accurate picture that way. you need to hear it on YOUR stuff, and if they won't let you do that, then don't bother with them.

agreed with everything else.