Pedal Suggestion?

Dec 8, 2005
Right now, I am playing with very crappy distortion on my Roland Cube 30 Amp. I want a good distortion with good sustain and great harmonics. I'm thinking about a Boss Super OverDrive SD-1 pedal. Any suggestions?

Get a Boss ME-50 Multi-FX pedal. The distortion function pretty much has every single Boss Distortion and then some. And the other fx are also fun to fuck around with.

BucketBanger9000 said:
Right now, I am playing with very crappy distortion on my Roland Cube 30 Amp. I want a good distortion with good sustain and great harmonics. I'm thinking about a Boss Super OverDrive SD-1 pedal. Any suggestions?

the SD-1 is good for pushing and already overdriven amp, but it will probably not be too useful as a stand alone distortion effect (assuming that you wanna use it for metal, that is).

The ME-50 has the SD-1 and then some. It even has a kitchen sink in it, and the only other product by any company to have that is the Line 6 Vetta 2.

Has anyone tried the Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal? I might be considering that one. I need a good, cheap pedal for the time being while I save up for the Pod XT Live

BucketBanger9000 said:
save for a good amp. honestly. you get a nice pedal, it still goes through your budget amp... and well, the amp is what AMPLIFIES, and if it does a bad job, then nothing can correct that.

My amp isn't budget though. It is a good amp, not necessarily for performing, but for practicing. I actually played a show with it in a big theater, and it covered the entire place. I just need crisper distortion with good sustain. Like Steve Vai's sound. Last I heard he uses a Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal.

BucketBanger9000 said:
My amp isn't budget though. It is a good amp, not necessarily for performing, but for practicing. I actually played a show with it in a big theater, and it covered the entire place. I just need crisper distortion with good sustain. Like Steve Vai's sound. Last I heard he uses a Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal.
Don't get one, they're weak as piss. Get a zoom pedal. They are seriously good.... and definately a LOT better than ppl make them out to be. Plus you probably couldnt go too much cheaper for how good they are. My 707II was about AU$300, which is about US$225..... and they have new models out so my one would be even cheaper now. The presets arent that great, but you can mod the sounds and apply amp modelling and EQ, then presto.... and awesome sound. It's also got cool acoustic sounds and the reverb makes it sound opeth-like if u do it right. Plus, and awesome violin sound as well :).

BucketBanger9000 said:
Has anyone tried the Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal? I might be considering that one. I need a good, cheap pedal for the time being while I save up for the Pod XT Live
That pedal is barely worth the $40 it costs IMO.
Jaen said:
Vai uses a modded DS-1
Is his pedal modded by Michael Keeley?
wchuck said:
marshall jackhammer maybe, what kind of distortion do you need?
I have one of those. It's SO GOOD!!!!!!!:worship:

All in all, I say.... The Boss OD-20

"All Kinds of fancy" shit is an understatement. He has an arsenal of guitars. A Malmsteen Strat, a White Tiger striped Kramer :worship:, a Carvin (as seen in my band's myspace pics), a Hurricane, an Ibanez Body with a Jackson Neck, 2 custom Charvels: One painted Blue, and one with a ghetto ass Eddie Van Halen job, and we're waiting on a custom Ibanez made of all parts he got off ebay. And then he has his Marshall Mode Four head. On the side, his Keeley modded DS1, a Boss Blues Driver (not modded).
We don't know where he gets his money. Nor do we question it, because I don't think I wanna know the answer.:lol: