Opeth GT-6 lead tone setting

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
I was just soloing along to 'The Leper Affinity' and it hit me that... well, my lead tone sounds nothing like what Mike used on that album. I use a Boss ME-50, which naturally uses the same gear modelling algorithms as the GT-6 (Roland's COSM). Currently I think I'm using the 'Rat' distortion on my ME-50, but it has this sort of thick, almost synthy, compressed sound to it and that hardly matches up to what Mike is using on the Leper Affinity.

By having heard them live, or perhaps listening to the records, could anybody isolate what they think would be the stompbox simulation Opeth use on their GT-6's for lead? I use my DS-1 for the rhythm and that goes down pretty well for everything... the DS-1 is such a kickass pedal.

Anyhow, I'm stumped for lead. Any pointers? You don't need to stop at the distortion. Feel free to give pointers on delays... chorus settings etc. etc.

You know, if the thread doesn't interest you, you could just not click on it.

*sigh* Note how I'm usually the one answering these threads. Note how for one fucking time I actually ask for something, and the responses are 'boohoo, we hear this all the time, blah blah'. Well if it was fucking answered in the past, I certainly wouldn't have posted this.

I have my own lead tones, and yes, I have my own rhythm tones. I *want* Opeth's tone for when I play along to the fucking tracks.

yo moonlapse chill out i was whining or complaining ... i was just saying.. im not trying to offend u

Hey Moonlapse,

Can you tell me a little more (or point me in the direction to find more info) about the DS-1? I currently am trying out the MT-2 for rhythm and dont care for it. I'd like something more versitile and with more moderate gain. From reviews ive read, and from what you just described its sounds like a nice little pedal.

I believe the guys run straight through the amp and use the amp's distortion while recording... but I know they use their GT-6s live and I'm not sure but I think I've heard somewhere that the setting is based on its 5150 model.

i think you might be right katatonic. i don't know about the laney, but on deliverance, it is definetely that mesa sound on one of the guitars. (for certain parts)

Yeah. It would figure that they'd use the amps when they record. I'm mainly wondering about the live GT-6 settings, namely the stompbox emulation they're using, so I can have some sort of starting point with my pedal.

well, i was playing around on an me-50 today (getting one for christmas..hehe) and i really liked the od channel. (don't remember the number, but it was the lowest one on the dial) it had that really smooth and clear overdrive, but if when i turned up the gain, it had a nice crunch to it. it was fairly thick too. it had good thick mids to it...which is something i really like about opeth's guitar tone. it is also one of the main reasons i am getting that pedal. the other effects are good quality too, compared to a lot of floor based processors i have tried. a lot of their leads (especially on deliverance, have a nice analog delay, and seem to have a warm boost in the lower mids. i have read some reviews of the sh-11 on harmony-central, and people describe this warmth as a nice pronounced "O" sound, which i can see in opeth's leads. thats my bit anyways.

I think you're talking about the OD-1. That has a very rhick mid-ranged sound... I use it for playing most of the Damnation leads... it's a pretty nice old-school sound.

Just wait till you play around with the Muff/Square with your neck pickup... you'd think your guitar was used to create those old Commodore 64 sounds :)

i really love the analog delay...that is by far my favorite delay sound. i was gonna pick up an old dm-3 once, but it was like 150 bucks...this thing does the trick though. i'm pumped.

I never actually noticed that much difference between the delays.... apart from the actual delay intervals, haha. I just never play around all that much with the settings. I have my set of 'core' sounds as presets and just use them.

the analog delay just has that nice and warm "warbling" sound (as "they" like to call it.) its due to that "shittiness" of the analog delay circuit. its so low fi that the signal degrades with each repetition. it can provide some neet ambient sounds.

hahah, you've gotta love these vintage principles, where even signal attenuation can be used to one's benefit. I mean take the low-fi nature of a mellotron. Sounds hardly anything like the things it emulates, but it creates a distinct sound in itself, and that's why it's still used.