Boss GT-8

Do you think opeth will upgrade from the GT-6 to a GT-8 or the GT-8 PRo Rackmount?

by the way, yes you can transfer data off the GT-6 onto the computer and switch over to GT-8 or so I believe, you can do it between 2 gt-6s

really I wouldn't think they would cause they dont use too many of the effects on the GT-6

and gt-8 still only has 140 user presets available like the GT-6

anyone else's thoughts on this?

mh, opeth use a shitload of effects and different presets...they gotta many different sounds. but i know if there's a reason for switching to the GT8 really...i mean of what use would it be for the guys?

Maleficus said:
well there is a new system which I am intrueged by the GT-8 and that is the Dynamic system where you can turn on and off distortion and effects by how hard you pick the string, which is incredible step up in technology

I saw some GT8 demo some guy posted somewhere (???..) and that trick was very fucking coool indeed!

I'm not sure if the Boss has this, but the Roland COSM modeling pedal board (which the GT series uses a lot of technology from) can actually tune your guitar! If you use the MIDI pickup, you can select different tunings from the pedal board and the board will automatically change the pitch of each string to whatever tuning you picked. Fucking amazing.

N00b question...I just got a GT 8. Any tips on getting the Opeth tone? Preferably Blackwater Park era. Thanks.

Oh yes, I am Paul. Hello all!

:wave:

i'd look into the Rectifier models, but really you'd have to ask Mike himself. with the amount of customization available it'd be hard to pinpoint just what exactly they do to get that sound.

Id say the majority of the Blackwater Park sound is overdriven Laney amplifiers. It really gives off that british distorted crunch on that album, and methinks most of this tone comes from their Laney heads/whatever cabinets they used with them.

Leper_/-\ffinity said:
Id say the majority of the Blackwater Park sound is overdriven Laney amplifiers. It really gives off that british distorted crunch on that album, and methinks most of this tone comes from their Laney heads/whatever cabinets they used with them.

On opeth.com, it says for the recording of BWP, they used "Laney VH 100L, Engl 100W, Peavey 5150" amps, and the effects they used were "Boss GT3, Electro harmonix small stone, E-bow, etc" So there is really no telling how to set the GT-6 there - there's so many amps used, blended together, etc that you'll probably never be able to exactly reproduce their tone. But from the interviews I've read, live they simply leave their laneys on the clean channel and use their GT-6s for all effects (distortion included).

EDIT: Yup, found this in the FAQ (yay for moonlapse):

How do Opeth get their live guitar tone?

There has been much debate over this - namely wether a majority of Opeth's distorted sound comes from the amps or their pedalboards. I managed to find an interview with Peter that puts some of these matters to rest.

'We have a Boss GT6 pedal board, which has all the effects in it, like distortion and delay. We only use the clean sound in the amps, always, which is a good thing. We don't have to use the amp distortion and rely on that. If the pedal board goes down then we're fucked basically, but we have spare ones with us."