Classic.

hmm, it depends on what type of classical you want to hear. Do you wanna hear the more technical concerto's or sonata's with violins or guitars, or Piano stuff, or do you wanna hear fully orchestrated pieces? I can reccomend some stuff but you must be a bit more specific.

hehe eexcellent... well first you HAVE to hear Paganini's 24 caprices if you wanna hear some virtuosic stuff (helpful if you are a guitar player too, Paganini was the first shredder) A good version would be Itzhak Perlmans. Also I LOVE all the stuff J.S. Bach did, he came up with some extremely cool melodies... it's really tough to reccomend stuff by him because i like it all... my favorite from him being the short but sweet Partita No. 3 in E Major: I Preludio though :). Hilary Hahn did an amazing version of it (hehe here already you can see i favor the technical voilin stuff) But now for some stuff that is fully orchestrated and whatnot.

Vivaldi's four Seasons is a MUST, it is very cool. Giuliano Carmignola did a nice version of it. IT's in 4 parts, BTW, if you couldn't tell :)

For piano stuff there is 3 guys who were AMAZING at it: Chopin, Mozart, and Rachmaninoff. For Mozart, check out Vladimir Ashkenazy's versions of some of his best conertos, like Concerto's 24, 20, 21... Awesome stuff. Rachmaninoff had some really amazing stuff, most notably the "Rach 3", which some of you might recognize from the movie Shine (it was the piece that made him lose it and go crazy) Byron Janis does a great version of it. and Chopin, well Vladimir Ashkenazy (again... he is good!) made a double CD of Chopin's best stuff called "chopin: favorite piano works" and i would reccomend that highly if you are just getting into Chopin. For a good song to check out try Etude in a, op.25 no.11 'Winter Wind'. It is one of his more famous and frantic works... actually i think i prefer Vitalij Kuprij's version of that song over Ashjenazy's but i mean they're pretty close to the same.

Well those are my favorites, but you can't go wrong with any of Beethoven's 9 symphonies either. There is lots of good stuff out there and even i am just starting to discover it all. Hope this was helpful somewhat. Oh and J.S Bach is the best of them all if i haven't said that yet :)

ah yeah and for another cool solo piano piece check out Vitalij Kuprij's "32 Variations on a theme by Beethoven" should be easy to find on AG or WinMX i think. And of course don't foget Beethoven's Moonligh Sonata... i think everyone knows that tune :)

There was a thread not long about about this, and there were a lot of classical musicians mentioned. I happened to save it.

D Mullholand:

"Ahem.

Sergei Prokofiev. All the piano sonatas, but especially 2, 3, 5, 7 and 8. This is living, breathing music - when it's harsh, it's powerful and driving, better than any death metal; when it's soft, it's touching and gentle, but never boring or banal. Igor Stravinsky is also great, in a similar style.

Dmitri Shostakovich. Always desolate and darkly ironic, you can never truly figure out how many masks he hides behind. In the rare occasion when all the ugliness and mocking doom dissolve, and his music becomes lyrical, you can never be sure if this is a distraction, or a confession masked and hidden between the marching chaos.

Olivier Messiaen - "Quartet for the End of Time". Some of the most achingly beautiful music I have ever heard in any genre. It takes time to adjust to his ways of melodic thinking, but when you finally do, you will see the profound depth this seemingly sparse music contains.

Arnold Schoenberg - "Pierrot Lunaire". A sick, twisted and surreal tale set to music which confuses at first, but enchants more and more later.

Gyorgy Ligeti - the soundtrack to 2001: A Space Odyssey. Huge, morphing masses of sound and different sorts of musical fabric; music that never becomes static.

Alexander Scriabin - I'm starting to get into his music, so I haven't heard much, but what I have heard is amazingly beautiful without romantic cheese-excesses, but also not strikingly "modern" so it won't alienate the trads."

I hope that helps and saved D Mullholand some time. :p

Does anyone know of any good some what dark classical music. I can only seem to hear and find it in movies or games, anyone know any composers that specialize in a more "dark" style?
To Carcass: I love waltzes...:) check out Tchaikovsky!

Well a lot of the gloomy stuff is neo-classical done by modern composers who do soundtracks for movies and stuff. I don't know a whole lot about that style but a few good songs would be Adagio - Homeworld, Requiem For A Dream - Hope Overture, and (don't laugh) Final Fantasy VIII - Liberi Fatali. Also Chopin can get pretty dark sometimes, like Etude #11 and #12, Opus 25.

Chopin is a very good choice for classical piano pieces. I just finished learning 2 of his songs on the piano: the Revolutionary Etude and the Fantasie Impromptu, both VERY incredible works of art. Chopin, in my opinion, is the master at mixing darkish and peacful tunes.

Originally posted by OpethianSoul
I hope that helps and saved D Mullholand some time. :p

Great, now you've spoiled all the fun! :p But thanks anyway.

Pay special attention to Messiaen and Scriabin - beauty in abundance...

D Mullholand