Classical composers = Original prog rockers?

ApolloFC

Sax-Man
Sep 18, 2009
Greensboro, North Carolina
Some of the stuff we're playing in my local community group is simply brilliant.

Woolfenden's Gallimaufry
(Please note I'm having trouble finding an original recording)

Check out the section at 4:50.

Wondering what fellow prog lovers think about classical music? Any recommended composers?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it spans the spectrum of music developed today. Some classical music was written for similar purposes as modern pop music. Somebody was paid to do something to entertain somebody else, such as the King. While the King has more listening patience/focus than most people today, the music still needed to meet his needs and thus often wasn't very complex.

From the earliest days of progressive rock, and fusion, 'classical' (not necessarily from the classical-era, but of that general style that we refer to as classical) music was incorporated. I think that Zappa was one of the clearest in these regards, but he also was more interested in the more avant garde classical musicians such as Stravinsky, yet he also seemed to really enjoy Holst's Planets.

I think it's interesting to hear Steve Vai's music done with just a piano (by Mike Keneally). For people who couldn't hear just past the 'guitar', it really shows that Steve's greatness has less to do with his technique (though he's one of the most studious) than what his technique allows him to create.

You might have heard people say that Wagner would be a metal musician if he were alive today. That might be true. But I'd hope he'd still appreciate the quality of silence and dynamics more than 99.9% of the metal musicians out there.

What Cherion said is true. If you look back especially in the Prog Rock setting so many of those bands have added little clips from classical composers, or taken those clips and expanded on them. Some of the bands that did it the most were as he said Zappa. Yes, Rick Wakeman, King Crimson, Procol Harum, and the Moody Blues

Then today you have songwriters who could probably write beautiful symphonies on their own, and these writers will insert classical passages all thru their writing, examples Tuomas Holopainen, Arjen Anthony Lucassen, and also whoever does the majority of the writing for Dimmu Borgir, I know I am missing alot more but those are the top three that come to mind

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0znwYBVUJS8&feature=fvst[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator: