Classical Music Essentials

Reign in Acai

Of Elephant and Man
Jun 25, 2003
Favela of My Dismay
Recommend me some great classical. (Preferably on the darker side) This classical record store is having a good sale across the street from me. So I wouldn't mind escaping with a few juicy darlings. I'll be on the look for some discounted Carl Orff, Kronos Quartet and Philip Glass's Violin Concierto.

lizard said:
Mozart's Brandenburg concertos
lolzolzolzolz that's bach dude. :)

that one, vivaldi's four seasons, beethoven's anything, etc. classical music is cheap, just grab what looks nifty.

Górecki - Symphony No. 3 "Symphony of Sorrowful Songs" I learned about this one from this board so I'm sure that there will be a few ones that will second me on it.

and you can't go wrong with the stuff that Beethoven put out in the later part of his life. Symphony No. 7 is recommended.

Shostakovich's Piano Trio No. 2 is really neat too, I should try and find it myself because I just heard it in concert last week (first time I ever heard it) and I was really impressed. Very dark.

MajestikMøøse said:
Górecki - Symphony No. 3 "Symphony of Sorrowful Songs" I learned about this one from this board so I'm sure that there will be a few ones that will second me on it.

Even I , have this one . That has to be mainstream classical :loco:

1lb of Naked Nutrition said:
Philip Glass's Violin Concierto.

This is awesome.

Well, it's a bottomless topic this one, but judging from the stuff you quoted, I'd recommend to pick anything they have by Arvo Pärt, who stands for a blend of modern-day minimalism and the austere, transcendental qualities of ancient music. He works a lot around silences and a strict refusal of any orchestral climax. I can't even begin to describe how far his music drives my mind, though I know he's boring to death for some people - but do give him a try.

Seeing as you seem to enjoy the Kronos Quartett, I'd recommend their interpretation of the 4th String Quartett by Peteris Vásks. Soothing, very harmonic stuff with some melodic gems built in. It's pretty much a crescendo/decrsecendo affair from A to Z. I tend to judge Vásks' music through Pärt, as one bears similarities to the other, though Vásks doesn't distantiate himself that much from the schools of his time - so be cautious if you don't like Pärt ;)

Erkki-Sven Tüür might be something to look into. His music combines the unobtrusive mysticism of the early romantics with his own take on dissonant turmoil and patient builds. There's no denying the influence 70's progressive rock had on his work. Actually he started playing in an experimental rock band himself, I remember. His "Architectonics" are a marvellous collection of osmoses and contrasts within chosen ranges of instruments but if you'd like something darker and more sacred I'd recommend his "Stabat Mater" or the "Crystallisatio" CD

And if you're into baroque and epic polyphonies, you can't overlook Purcell's "King Arthur", arguably the best opera ever, though arguably not an opera at all because of the above-average proportion of music-only sections and the dancing involved.

Let us know what you picked in the end!

And Gorecki's "Symphony n°3", as Moose stated. Preferably the version with Dawn Upshaw on vocals, so gorgeous.

And consider some Penderecki as well. I know he's a fave among metalheads for his chaotic structures. Elend learnt a lot from him.

I'm always with Doomcifer but if he posts Bach, I'll post that.

anyone bored by "classical" music?

I sometimes get weary of some composers or a particular corner of classical music like some late romantic stuff - Sibelius and Grieg are cool but rather on homeopathic dosis. And don't mention Tchaikovsky or, worse, Stravinsky :yuk:

But "classical" music reaches so many different styles and atmospheres it's hard to get bored of it as a whole. Very akin to metal in this respect.