Clients Access to Pro Tools Sessions.

Trep

Mar 16, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Ok little Bit of Confusion

If a Client Comes, Records, you mix, give them Audio CD, They Pay you. They walk away.......

Do They have access to Protools Files and raw audio or do they still belong to you.

Im confused haha.....

Anyone been in this situation and know of what rights ad ownership I have after the Client has Purchased the Mixed Audio....

I was always under the impression that you write that all up in the contract before hand so that there would be complete understanding of who gets what.

I was always under the impression that you write that all up in the contract before hand so that there would be complete understanding of who gets what.

Yeah this is where it Gets Sticky. It was just suppose to be a quick Cash Job for a week or Twos recording.

I really really Regret That now......... And will be for Everything In the Future

I hand out the files to the bands.. including all the edited audio so if they want it, they can have it.. i really don't care.

you have to give the client a copy of the pro tools files if they ask for them.... they should supply a drive for that purpose. i give out copies that do not have the mix in place.... all plug-ins and automation deleted... it's just the edited tracks. as long as they bring a drive for the files you'll have to give them to them if they have paid your invoice.

you have to give the client a copy of the pro tools files if they ask for them.... they should supply a drive for that purpose. i give out copies that do not have the mix in place.... all plug-ins and automation deleted... it's just the edited tracks. as long as they bring a drive for the files you'll have to give them to them if they have paid your invoice.

+1

Just strip all the automation and plugs from the session, consolidate the files (if you'd like) and give it to them.

However, I have a clause in my contracts that states something to the effect of, "If you want the session files, it will cost x amount of money to prep the files and the time spent transferring to your choice of media" ...

However, I have a clause in my contracts that states something to the effect of, "If you want the session files, it will cost x amount of money to prep the files and the time spent transferring to your choice of media" ...
i wouldn't try that on any of the labels i work for.