Clip from our demo, feedback please...

James Murphy said:
when i was at Jeff Loomis' house in Washington a couple months ago to record him for the Death tribute album i'm working on i introduced him to Powertab, and used it to transcribe the famous River Dragon part... you know.. the crazy diminished part... Jeff showed me note-for-note as i entered it in to Powertab on his PC... including harmonies. i'd be happy to pass on the .ptb file not anyone who is interested if Jeff says it's Ok to do so.. i'll ask him next time he's on line.

Haha I just love 'the river dragon'. Listen to this little 'bootleg' clip of my funk/fusion band (yaeh I know it's probably to gay for most of you) and you'll know what I mean:

http://www.home.zonnet.nl/hammer_bart/audiofiles/bigdancedragon.mp3

I'm a metalhead myself, but playing with those fusion guys has taught me quite a lot. Anyway, this bit is just some improv at the end of a Spyro Gyra song called 'Big Dance Number' and I thought I'd throw in some Loomis influence :headbang: I guess the man himself would be pretty surprised to hear that huh?

Goddamn Guitar said:
FUCK:yuk: I wrote this really long post about how I did recorded everything and providing the answers to your questions... Crap, well I'll do a short version then. :tickled:

Just my usual luck. :D

But your post helps a million, thanks.

Just one last question, what eq settings did you used on your kick drum. I realized the kick sounds differently when it's doubled. Did you used different settings, volumes to achieve that.

Thanks again, and keep on rocking. :headbang:

The kick isn't doubled on the demo, there is only the triggersound. Eq hmm, maybe some scoop at 400hz, sub-peak at 50hz.
But the most important part is the gate. With a hold at 80ms and a release at 110ms. Makes that kick really pop out.

Forge Farm said:
Just my usual luck. :D

But your post helps a million, thanks.

Just one last question, what eq settings did you used on your kick drum. I realized the kick sounds differently when it's doubled. Did you used different settings, volumes to achieve that.

Thanks again, and keep on rocking. :headbang:

Goddamn Guitar said:
The kick isn't doubled on the demo, there is only the triggersound. Eq hmm, maybe some scoop at 400hz, sub-peak at 50hz.
But the most important part is the gate. With a hold at 80ms and a release at 110ms. Makes that kick really pop out.

Sorry for not being clear, I didn't want to say you doubled the kick drum. I wanted to say that the fast parts where you use double-kick seem to have a different eq and volume when compared with the normal parts. :D

:headbang: :worship: James Murphy :worship: :headbang: has mentioned that in here, but he hasn't explained the actual settings.

BTW, this trick with the gate is awesome, I've never heard that before. Normally, I would use a compressor, not a gate, to do that. Is it the same thing? Do you use this gate thing in other instruments, like the bass?

Thanks a million again, I'm learning a lot with this mix and your explanations. :wave: