Clipping Issue

xx|fiend|xx

New Metal Member
Jan 24, 2011
Need some help from you masters here! Gotta slight issues I'm not sure what to make of. Maybe something Newb. Long story short, I have a Demeter Tube Optical Comp/Limiter, Model VTCL-2a. I had this thing sitting around so I figured I'd try to master some tracks with it....I have an fp10 Presonus interface I'm using at the moment...

So basically I have the stereo mix, I send it out via Presonus fp10 line out, to the VTCL-2a, then back into the Line input 1&2 of the presonus. I set the Comp/limit settings how I like it but I noticed the red LED lights clipping on the Presonus fp10 (BTW they're only 12 o'clock). I actually have the settings I prefer and the right RMS I was shooting for, but do I need to be concerned? I mean I don't want to burn out the inputs on the presonus. I guess what I was thinking is Demeter Comp has a limiter that won't go past 0 so I was figuring it might be ok even though clipping on the presonus, but I'm not sure. If I'm damaging the presonus then I can always pull back the gain reduction but I was unsure how to approach this. Any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!

Edit
All is resolved:
Guess I was having a problem because I didn't quite understand the gear. The Comp/Limiter is out of production and I've had stored away for about 6 years. Found a similar model with a manual and double checked my input sens and realized that was the main issue. Once I set that inputs appropriately on the comp and revised my settings a bit, the clipping is gone. For the Demeter to act as a limiter, I'd have to do some extra stuff so as of now I'm just exporting the mix, feeding it through the Demeter Comp while giving it a good boost on the makeup, then placing another Limiter to push the levels a little more to -9 to -11 RMS.

Hey red, actually no audible clipping can be heard and all levels stay at 0.0 in the host. I was concerned if I was damaging the inputs of the interface using it this way?