Come Bash My Completely ITB Metalcore Mix... please?

Frak

Nov 30, 2011
Perth, Australia
Hey guys,

I'm currently in the process of mixing my second ever paid job for a local metalcore band, and I was keen to get some feedback on the mix/master of one of the songs.
Feel free to pick on anything production related!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21735317/TIOLI/New TIOLI.mp3

Main problem I've been having is the snare not poking through properly, but only on certain hits - as if its losing its body once it hits the mastering chain.
I'm also not sure if the guitars aren't bright enough, or don't have enough bite, although that may just be ear fatigue (its been a long night).

Drums are blends between Metal Machine, Metal Foundry and Avatar (all Toontrack).
Guitars are TSE808 -> TSEX50 -> Catharsis spres8 with a bitchingly long processing chain that I feel like I shouldn't have but need.

If you guys want more information, just ask.

Thanks!

EDIT:
Latest mix - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21735317/TIOLI/New TIOLI 5.mp3

Bash you say?

leads are sloppy, vocals could be slammed a bit harder and brought more up front, kick isn't very audible, your bass guitar is going nuts in the low end.

But for an honest critique, your only big concern should be the low end in the bass and bringing the vocals forward, sounds pretty cool other than that!

Bash you say?

leads are sloppy, vocals could be slammed a bit harder and brought more up front, kick isn't very audible, your bass guitar is going nuts in the low end.

But for an honest critique, your only big concern should be the low end in the bass and bringing the vocals forward, sounds pretty cool other than that!

Yes, bash away. :D

Haha - Guitarist wasn't the tightest player ever, and he knew that so we tried to make it work. I was hoping I hid that enough but apparently not.
Vocals slammed? As in compression? I'm slamming them pretty damn hard already.

Alright, low end. I think if I get that bass guitar under control, the kick should become more audible.
Thanks for the help.

No problem man, for your second paid work it's pretty good. Just tame the whatever is going on >130hz with the bass whether it's slamming it with a limiter and EQ or whatever you do. Dip out some room for you kick too, maybe even sidechain the kick to the bass

I'd turn the snare reverb down a bit and turn the attack up. Assuming you're blending it, maybe use a transient designer and see if that gives it some of the attack you want.

Also, hope your username is a Battlestar Galactica reference.

I'd turn the snare reverb down a bit and turn the attack up. Assuming you're blending it, maybe use a transient designer and see if that gives it some of the attack you want.

Also, hope your username is a Battlestar Galactica reference.

Yeah, just worked a bit on the snare. Tightening a few more things up too.
I'll edit this post with another mix in a couple of hours.
You are right, the reverb did need to come down a bit.
Also the snare was giving me way too much 8k+ before so I cut a lot of the high end which I think killed a bit of the attack.
Just added a little bit of that back in and I think it helped a fair bit.

Also, of course it is! :D

EDIT:
Here's the latest mix. Decided to be generic and add a bass drop.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21735317/TIOLI/New TIOLI 5.mp3