common drum production tips?

innovine

New Metal Member
Nov 27, 2009
I wonder if anyone can share some common metal drum production tips? I have a roland TD-12 e-kit and am trying to design some decent sounding metal kits. Any tips related to cymbal sizes and sustain, compression, reverb use and eq and stuff like that would be awesome. Just looking for some common tips to work with to get a good generic metal sound (some thrash, death..) and not just 'do whatever man, trust your ears". I would trust my ears if I had many years of production experience, but I'm entirely new to producing drums so until then, a standard 'recipe' as a base to work with would be pretty great. I'd be happy to post some sound clips if anyone is interested in commenting and suggesting. Thanks!

I did that, found some samples roaming around the internet (i believe the snare and kick might be sneaps from his site) and put it through kontakt and it sounds awesome but unfortunately it's extremely un-dynamic, pretty much all one velocity, working on that for the snare and the ride since i do have multiple samples for them.

I have had some great results using Drumagog or EZdrummer with my metal drum productions. Most pros are using EZ drummer with the drums from hell expansion to great effect. You can use your Roland as triggers for it and use the MIDI out to run it.

Let me know how you get on.:)