Communic - Conspiracy in Mind

Dec 21, 2003
Sudbury, Canada
Communic – Conspiracy in Mind
Nuclear Blast – 2005
By Adam McAuley

communic.jpg

Featuring members of another prog band, Scariot, Communic are an excellent addition to the genre. An inevitable comparison to Nevermore must be made, but Communic raise their sound to new levels of depth of polish normally unseen in the genre. In fact, I wouldn’t hesitate to say that this is the type of album Nevermore should have attempted after Dreaming Neon Black, instead of the overly streamlined Dead Heart in a Dead World.

The songs on Conpiracy in Mind are long and developed, but they never get boring for a second. Some epic riffs and synths are added to spice up their soundscapes into realms that promise a strong future. The performances are all top notch, but it’s the work of frontman Oddleif Stensland that must be particularly commended in the vocal and especially the guitar department. He sounds unquestionably similar to Warrell Dane, but with a bit more of a higher pitched power metal-type tone. Riffing is technical, yet restrained and mesmerizing throughout.

There isn’t really a whole lot with which to criticize Communic. Their sound is somewhat derivative, but simply uses some tried and true building blocks on a higher level. Songs are perhaps a bit too long and drag on at times. But neither of these are truly big qualms and can easily be overlooked in favor of some of the best progressive metal you’ll find. Highly recommended to fans of the genre looking for a fresh and exciting band.

8.5/10

Official Nuclear Blast website
Official Communic website

Sounds good to me. I've seen this band's name a lot recently but didn't know exactly what they sounded like.

Have to disagree with comment on "Dead Heart In a Dead World"...that is my favorite Nevermore album and one of the best American metal records of the last 10 years.