circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Communic – Waves of Visual Decay
Nuclear Blast – NB1656-2 – May 19th, 2006
By Jason Jordan

waves.jpg

Inevitably, Communic were compared to Nevermore when Conspiracy in Mind appeared, and I’m not surprised that Waves of Visual Decay fails to veer from the beaten path. I mean, when the songs are this well-written, the music is of exceptional caliber, and fans of the long-running Americans have another group to turn to when This Godless Endeavor needs temporary shelving, why should these Norwegians fix the unbroken?

I hate to drop a bomb this late in the review, but you must understand that I don’t like Nevermore enough to listen to them, yet I envision reaching for Waves of Visual Decay from time to time. Similar to Conspiracy in Mind, their latest opus is almost an hour long, presenting seven lengthy tracks for your approval. And honestly, it’s tough not to be swayed by the crunch that this trio so expertly wields. While I don’t enthusiastically guzzle all of what spews from the tap, the end of almost every song is priceless – “Under a Luminous Sky,” “Frozen Asleep in the Park,” “Fooled by the Serpent,” “My Bleeding Victim,” and “At Dewy Prime.” Sometimes the riffs alone are worth the price of admission. Likewise, except for “Watching It All Disappear,” a low-key affair, and “Waves of Visual Decay,” a subpar effort when held up to its peers, the instrumental portions are killer. The production is spacious, and there’s also enough edge to slice even the most calloused skin. Stensland’s clean vocals – perhaps an acquired taste – surely aren’t this threesome’s overt weakness, if his singing can be deemed a weakness in the first place.

However, in spite of my initial praise, I fear Communic will be pushed to recommended status as long as Nevermore occupy the required listening slot in many a metalhead’s mind, and it certainly doesn’t help matters if the former aren’t willing to stray from the latter at some point in the future. Still, maybe said observation works in their favor. As a unit, they may not quite measure up to the top dogs when rank is involved, but Communic are evidently hell-bent on making waves. And in a sense, I suppose they just did.

7.5/10

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Official Communic Website
Official Nuclear Blast Website