Comp on SSD kick and snare(snare13a,snare12a,snare11a)

Nico_pitty

Nick
Jun 22, 2011
Milan
Hi guys
I tried to use SSL channel on some SSD kick and snare and they don't sound really cool,i guess they don't because there are already compressed.
I also read a post where Joey told this.
But I read also that Joey and many of you use SSL on SSD snare and drums in general,but in which case?

every snare i record goes through the same thing, because im cool like that

SSL E-Channel
TOP SNARE
threshold : -20 db
attack (leave fast attack off)
release : .100
ratio : 3 or 4

+9db at 8 no bell
+9db at 200 no bell

use expander to cut a little ambience if you need to, gate if its a live kit

BOTTOM SNARE
turn this one up 6 decibels LOUDER than the top snare
threshold: 0
attack (fast attack on!)
release: .100
ratio: 8:1

+3 at 8 no bell (bell if you want a rock sound)
+6 at 200 no bell

then just use Q1 mono on each track to cut the particular head's "ring tone", a Q of 50 or 100 will do it, -18db of cut wherever the ring is (there might be many, find the one that sticks out in the track while its left flat eq, find it, and cut it)

i usually use RVERB for drum verb, but i've been toying with plate 140 from UAD to save my cpu's ass

the RVERB gives the snare body in the mix, because it produces a wide tail

the UAD can do the same, and it will be wider, but you'll need to know how to compress the reverb so it doesnt stick out like a sore thumb

this is just what i do to my actual snare tracks, much of the snare sound comes from the room mic's, and the agressive compression applied to them

i mean,at this point i don't think he means comp ssd snare here.

slate drums come pretty heavily compressed. just use a transient designer if you need more attack. that's IF YOU NEED IT. I only use one once every 10 mixes.

the only time i use compression with SSD is for parallel compression.

Sounds to me like you are just trying to do things that you've read joey does, thinking that it will just sound awesome instantly. if it were that simple we would all be working with the big bands. even those settings joey posted can prove to be irrelevant, because those are HIS settings that he has found to work in HIS ROOM with HIS MICS and his MIC POSITION. change the player, instrument, space and gear and you can throw settings right out the window. however if you can understand WHY he does what he does, you will be able to make the sounds you want from scratch without consulting presets.

I don't do the same things Joey does,i'm just trying to obtain a good sound for my snare(this is what i think of his).i do not want to mix as Joey does cos i'd like to have my own sound.but that snare is too goood for me. my principal problem is that not aslways i use vst because i know why they have to be used, and this is a problem that i'm trying to solve learning more and more about them. ;)
anyway i tend not to use parallel comp because everytime i use it it ruins my mix. even with bus reverb that ruins my snare sound(i solve it using reverb directly in my snare bus)
So no comp on ssd(or better just with parallel compression in some case),transint designer when my snare needs it.and what about using ez mix?if it used properly can it give good result?

Slate stuff is far too processed for you to use the same mixing strategies as you would on a real, raw drum track (like Joey is talking about in your post).
Honestly, Slate drums just need a tad compression and EQ to get it to sit right

Your snare doesn't cut enough because your guitars eat up too much space in your mix. that little clip you have isn't balanced right.

thaaat's right! got it!! i didn't understand that! i read "gate if it's a real live kit" so i thought that was for sample, but that was for his sample that he process and not for any drum kit already processed! thnx kool.

Do you guys realize that post is 4 years old?
Why dont we listen to Joey's stuff from 4 years ago and then tell me, do you really want those drum sounds? o_O

honestly, there is NO rule. Comp the shit out of the drums if that's what it needs. EQ them to hell and back if needed. Or you can leave them completely raw from SSD, it doesnt matter. What matters is the final product.

bunny%20cry.PNG

yea seth i know! honestly in these days iwas leaving them raw cos of they sound..and it's right what you say..this is why i'm asking you whats wrong and whats right! ;)