Using SSD Room Samples

Vinny

Jun 4, 2009
New Braunfels, Texas
I know a bunch of guys use SSD room samples with separate samples, so how do you guys do it?
The way I tried was to copy the drum track and convert it to MIDI and then turn the direct mics on SSD all the way down, so it's just the room mics coming in on SSD with the NRG room, while I'm using a non-SSD snare or toms etc, but I can never get it to sound "real" and blend decently. Am I doing something wrong? Or is this how everyone else does it?

Not 100% if i understand. but i copy my snare track and setup an instance of drumagog to trigger the room sample on that separate track

If I'm using SSD, then I'll send all the drums to separate tracks and use Trigger on the snare track to trigger samples, while the room samples get sent to another track. If it's an audio track, I use Trigger to trigger both the close and room samples.

As far as processing goes, I usually have the SSD room samples really quiet, and I have my own room samples much louder, and might have a verb going as well. I'm not a huge fan of the SSD room samples, they're a bit too distant + white noisey for me.