Compression Tutorial for SSD

Slate

Jan 2, 2007
Given the amount of SSD users here, I decided this could be useful.. the example here is a slow rock kit, but the same techniques work for fast metal:

I made the SSD library in a way that allows the user to get polished, finished sounds with little to no fuss.

However, compression can really enhance the drums, if you know how to use it properly.

Lets start with the CLA Hybrid kit, here is a little demo with just the preset default:

www.stevenslatedrums.com/test/CLANoComp.mp3

This sounds good as is, but lets tweak it. I'll send the NRG Room, the SSD Room (for this kit only the snare was in the SSD Room), and all the cymbals minus the hi hat to a bus or group. On this group I'll add a FET compressor at 4:1, medium to slow attack and very fast release. I'll take off about 4-6 db. Now the cymbals decay has been brought out, and the room's character is really enhanced.

Next, I'll add the group back in with the kick, snare, and toms. This combined drum mix will go to ANOTHER compressor, again I like FET 1176 style, and I'll use a very slow attack to let a lot of the transient in, and a very fast release, with about 4 db of compression.

So now the drums are really sounding big, and the resonances and room tones are more present. Last, the whole drum mix (along with the rest of the mix if this were in a song) go to a VCA mixbuss comp. Medium slow attack, fast release, and just moving the needle a bit to glue the bottom a bit and add some upper midrange focus.

And the result is this:

www.stevenslatedrums.com/test/CLAComp.mp3

again with no compression:

www.stevenslatedrums.com/test/CLANoComp.mp3

Steven

This really helped man. Great to see that after helping us enough with the basic drum sound you go that little bit further to ensure everyone can get the full potential out of this product! I'm sure these tips will apply to other drum packages too

Umm, don't mean to bitch, but to me it sounds like the balance on Comp-clip is leaning too much to the left and it makes me want to turn my head sideways and it's really annoying and distracting, when in the NoComp-clip the left right are more balanced. Is this on purpose?

edit: I checked with a wave editor and I was right. on the nocomp the left is -22.15 RMS and right is -22.43 RMS, when on the comp clip the left is -20.15 RMS and right is -22.14 RMS on the whole clip and in one bar the RMS' are nocomp -22.08L -22.34R and comp -19.61L -21.91R. When you turned the panning 20% to the right, it sounded okay

edit2: or did you accidentally use eg. mono-input plugin on stereo track? It sometimes creates that kind of an effect

Umm, don't mean to bitch, but to me it sounds like the balance on Comp-clip is leaning too much to the left and it makes me want to turn my head sideways and it's really annoying and distracting, when in the NoComp-clip the left right are more balanced. Is this on purpose?

edit: I checked with a wave editor and I was right. on the nocomp the left is -22.15 RMS and right is -22.43 RMS, when on the comp clip the left is -20.15 RMS and right is -22.14 RMS on the whole clip and in one bar the RMS' are nocomp -22.08L -22.34R and comp -19.61L -21.91R. When you turned the panning 20% to the right, it sounded okay

edit2: or did you accidentally use eg. mono-input plugin on stereo track? It sometimes creates that kind of an effect

What he said. Suomi ftw. ;)

I did the compression with analog comps, so I didn't have the precision of digital numbers on the outputs of them (one of the outputs was probably a tiny bit hotter), but overall you get the idea.. the compression demo has more character and bigness, and it'll fit better in a mix regardless of the slight stereo offset.. snare still sounds center enough.. the point is the compression really glues the whole kit together in a nice way, and will sound less "pokey" in the mix.