Composers

Kenneth R.

Cináed
Oct 28, 2004
Hallways of Always
Lest this forum stagnate...

Who is your favorite composer and piece? Classicists welcome of course, but also I'll include the possibility of modern composers and orchestral arrangers for film.

Best one. What is it? Yes, of all time.

Tough question, bloke! I have three favourites: Beethoven, Bach and Villa-Lobos. I think Beethoven has become my favourite since I read his biography and found him to be as interesting as his work. As to the favourite piece, well, that’s an even tougher question. One piece that I really like is Bethoven’s Concerto for piano and Orchestra No. 5.

Bach.

Bach is my favorite of all time. Just brilliant. Bless his deservedly immortal soul. His music possesses complexity beyond our imagination, and certainly beyond all of our capabilities to compose.

Down below Bach's pedestal lies a few great composers in the 2nd tier: Beethoven, Mendelssohn, Vivaldi, Locatelli

3rd tier but still quite good: Palestrina, Mozart, Smetana, Schubert, Chopin, Tchaikovsky, Rimsky-Korsakov, Dvorak...

4th tier: Brahms, Grieg, Strauss, Handel, Liszt, Haydn, Debussy...

Favorite piece? I don't know. I'm partial to many. I suppose it is always a joy to hear Bach's "Little" Fugue. But any of his lute suites, cello suites, concertos for harpsichord... Musical Offering... Art of the Fugue... Chaconne.. they are all beautiful, complex, and amazing.

Bach.

However, my favorite classical suite is The Planets by Holst.

As for more modern composers...
Ennio Morricone, Basil Pouledaris... I like Howard Shore's LOTR soundtrack, too.

Toru Takemitsu made the best movie song of all time. The most nostalgic piece of music I know. Gets me teary-eyed almost every time:

Japan has tons of great "entertainment media" composers. Not just movies, but also games.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no authority in classical music.

Did you guys notice that Finlandia has an amazing beginning to it, but the middle part is just shit?

As for composers...along with Bach, Beethoven, Chopin...I've always liked Rachmaninov, Prokofiev, Holst, Ravel, Debussy, Rimsky and Scriabin.
And from movie composers, Jerry Goldsmith, John Williams, Alan silvesti, Bernard Herrmann, Howard Shore.
Cant name one single piece what is my favorite..

I admire Bach's style and genius most. Yet, I like Beethoven's symphonies most, and my favourite melody resides in Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake. I also like John Williams and Basil Poledouris, as modern composers a lot.

Who is my favorite composer? Myself of course <(^_^<). My favorite piece that i wrote?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzFTz1Z-X1o
my favorite old-time composers are probably chopin, liszt, beethoven. for modern day i like nobuo uematsu (Final Fantasy series) Koji Kondo (Zelda, Mario), Hiroki Kikuta (Secret of Mana) and John Williams.

The best composer? hmm...well that depends. Who i like the most? Nobuo Uematsu. Who i think is the best? ME.

Who is my favorite composer? Myself of course <(^_^<). My favorite piece that i wrote?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzFTz1Z-X1o
my favorite old-time composers are probably chopin, liszt, beethoven. for modern day i like nobuo uematsu (Final Fantasy series) Koji Kondo (Zelda, Mario), Hiroki Kikuta (Secret of Mana) and John Williams.

The best composer? hmm...well that depends. Who i like the most? Nobuo Uematsu. Who i think is the best? ME.

+1 for SoM soundtrack (Hiroki Kikuta) and Uematsu <3

This is my first post, so i thought I try and win the respect of you regular forumites. ;)

Uhhh... favorite composer? I don't think I really have a "favorite." Obviously Bach is one of them. I'm surprised nobody mentioned Telemann. Quantz, Mozart, Beethoven, Grieg, and Vivaldi are also up there.