Composing brutal death

Well...I use an open back Laney tf300 120 watt amp....

I put my settings to:
bass 5
Mids 10
Treble 6.5
Enhance 0(this sucks your mids as well if you put it higher)
Volume 5 for band 7/8 for gigs 1.5 for homeuse
Gain 10

And I still raise my mids with a GE7 for leads. I play doom/death metal with freeform jazz, modern classical, flamenco, world music, funk..just a shitload of influences. Sucking the mids out of your tone makes it sound sterile, thin and very dry..I hate that sound, plus it sucks while playing with a band. You can still get a chunky as shit sound from a very middy tone, it's just the way you play especially palm muting.

Yeah, it has a lot to do with your pick attack, like when I sucked, I always wanted to play with mids scooped, because I just wasn't very good, and I could get nice chunk out of it, but playing with mids and low gain has made me take full use of what I have and make my playing sound good with a better tone if you know how to use it.

You don't need to play fast to play brutal... Listen to Immolation Unholy Cult or Gorguts Obscura, and you'll see what I mean.

Writing is definitely something that I'm not great at... I can write some good riffs, and connect them well, but writing a song is a bit more than that. I have my drummer, who is an excellent songwriter for that.