Compression/ or Limiter before and after Drumagog ?

ApolloSpeed

Oct 31, 2005
Texas
www.myspace.com
I'm using a Drumagog blend on my snare, kick, and toms....... just wondering if it is preferred to use some Compression/ or Limiter in the chain before Drumagog to get the levels more "even"
.......and then some more Compression/ or Limiter after Drumagog to get the levels to punch hard! ??:kickass:

Yes, clipping an audio trigger signal before drumagog can help in some cases.
And about compression, whatever works dude. But keep in mind it will increase the cross talk.

how does drumagog respond to flams?

Well... :Smug:

I would say *ok*. Depends on the flam. Sometimes you have to manualy adjust 80% of the flams, sometimes only 20%.

A "Sustaining" snare with a "fatter" envelope will cause flams in drumagog when you have selected "to fast" settings. If you lower the timing Drumagog will miss (the real) flams.

Sometimes a PITA.

I think ACDC could be treated with "set and forget" - but actually they don't need Drumagog because the have Phil Rudd. :)

brandy

how does drumagog respond to flams?

don't necessarily expect Drumagog to be able to handle every hit perfectly. adjust it for the 99% and handle the other differently...

for tough to handle like flams I have divided the hits out onto different tracks or I've committed the track and then altered it by hand or cleaned up the problematic areas by hand first... it just depends.

don't waste time trying to make a Drumagog setting fit/handle every beat

also the Visual method of setting Drumagog is very handy

I have before and after on dynamic snares. It helps a lot but sometimes when you have very little transit to work with it makes things harder.

I have before and after on dynamic snares. It helps a lot but sometimes when you have very little transit to work with it makes things harder.

I just wana add, that it could be handy to use a gate/compressor dynamictool bundled with an EQ in front of DG. Gate the hits to very short "pop"s, then use the compressor with longer attack (15-40ms...) to bring out the attack of the hits. That way you can shape the envelope a lot. I never tried a transient designer, but that might be a cool idea.

After that gate/comp thing it could be handy to bring out the attack-fequencys with an EQ a little.

Disadvantage:

IMHO the original Dynamic of the hits is messed up completly.

brandy

Disadvantage:

IMHO the original Dynamic of the hits is messed up completly.

brandy

I have tried all that before and ended up at conclusion. Its best just to track the snare correct in the first place.

true......but only about 2 out of 10 drummers would be able to do this in a reasonable amount of time.:mad:

Very true but it also has a lot to do with you engineering skills, and the actually snare itself. A snare ringingwith huge overtones makes for a ruff time sample replacing. You need a fairly tight snare and a consistent hitter which is not always possible with every type of genre. Thats were a trigger comes in handy.

yeah, I put those moon gels on it to kill the overtone.....helps alot.

But I'm still having to use a compressor or limiter before drumagog, and sometimes the drummer has a hard time hitting it the same when doing hithats and fast double bass.:Smug: