question about drumagog

Jan 23, 2006
im thinking about buying drumagog to splice in samples on my recorded trigger splats. i want to be replacing somtimes toms, but mostly kick and snare. i was talking to an engineer i kinda know...and he said that drumagog sucks for trigggering blast beats, cuz you can hear the samples change. what does this mean exactly. and does it really suck for blastbeats?

Genius Gone Insane said:
It means he doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about.

Exactly. Lol. He's obviously not had any kind of *real* time devoted to learning how to actually use Drumagog. You can set the trigger level to only trigger certain samples at certain velocities, etc. Drumagog can be used for EVERYTHING. From jazz to country to death/black metal to instrumental pop. It just WORKS. If you fool around with the plug-in's settings enough you will find out how to use it properly. He, like I said, hasn't even begun to scratch the surface of Drumagog apparently. I would have to look at the plug-in to help you out more, but I'm at home now and I don't own that plug-in. Sorry. Maybe somebody that is able to pull it up can post some helpful hints.

~006

Drumagog is super flexable once you learn all it's features.

One feature that might come in handy is turning off the Dynamic Tracking setting. That means all the hits will trigger at whatever velocity you select. If you want inhuman blastbeat sounds, you can use that, or if you want more natural sounding blasts, just raise the input level and turn dynamic tracking back on until they trigger at louder volumes. Honestly, if you're smart and think logically about it, Drumagog can do almost anything you want it to.

Also normally what I do (since I track tons of lame drummers with no dynamic control) is make a send from the original snare track with drumagog on it and record to a new snare track. Then I go through each part and turn on dynamic tracking, or turn it off, or adjust thresholds or whatever I need to do, and just record each part on its own, then comp them together. May sound complicated, but once you get on a roll, its super easy.