Drumagog, is there a downside?

No, I was taught the way that you don't do any processing except maybe some compression. I started doing slight gating on my own...I don't see how that's hard to understand.

None of you seem to be reading the part where I say "everything comes through fine." Which includes ghost notes, etc. I'm not talking about a drastic gate guys, jesus. Whatever. It works for me. After 100+ locals that have come through that all think they are drum gods doing little subtle ghost notes and crap, I have not once heard "where did my snare go on that part?"...only "man, my drums sound very tight man, thanks." Getting a real drum sound is not becoming a lost art, but rather people like to do things their way...and really if anything is being forgotten it's that there is no one right way to do anything in this business. What works for you, works for you, what works for me, works for me.

It's just like my boss and I, he gets literally the same drum sounds as me all the time (or rather, the same sounds I would shoot for), only he goes about different ways of getting them. He eq's slightly coming in on the drums, and then does the rest in Vegas. I don't eq at all coming in, I do it all in Vegas. He likes to boost and then turn the volume down, I like to cut and turn the volume up. The point is, we get the same sounds, just completely opposite ways. Me gating that little -28 to -40db of unnecessary noise on the snare track doesn't affect the snare really at all. If anything it makes the recorded drums much cleaner and tighter. I don't need that minute little cymbal bleed in the snare. So why record it and waste CPU with plug-ins later? Why not gate that tiny bit of noise before it hits the DAW and then not even need any gating plugs afterwards?

I'll say it once more: nothing gets lost except annoying bleed. Every little bit of the snare/toms comes through just fine.

I'm done with this. There's no point in arguing about why I do things the way I do and why you all think it's wrong. Cheers.

~006

006 said:
I don't need that minute little cymbal bleed in the snare.
~006

Never say never...

I guess what works for you works for you. If your confident in your craft then it should not matter what any of us say. But to mix things up a little bit more you had mentioned "why waste CPU cycles on setting up a limiter after the fact". This should not be a problem especially to achieve what you are doing on the way in. Simply strip silence a dubbed track and be done with it.

Like most of us are saying it is not a matter of taste it is more a matter of covering your ass. If there is one thing that I have learned it is to never back your self into a corner. That little cymbal bleed you refer to is not as big of as problem to deal with when comparing it do an accidentally over limited snare take on the way in. Before you say "not me" just remember we are all human and humans make mistakes.

dawnofadreamx97 said:
I just go In Protools and Mute the tom tracks and kick tracks between hits. It's much easier and doesn't take up any processing power, Plus if I need something I can always go back and just unmute it....

I've never tried that. Isn't the mute too quick of a transient? Don't you want to fade in and out there??