Drumagog and Superior Drummer

ooosanteooo

New Metal Member
Jun 1, 2010
Hello,

I own superior drummer 2, and might be looking into getting the Metal Foundry Add-on.

I have only heard great news about the Steven Slate Drums, but at the moment I cannot buy them because as a band we already have Superior Drummer 2 for this job, and I think the metal foundry upgrade is in line anyway.

I have used BFD From Hell some years ago but wasn't happy with the sound. SD2 is quite nice, and I can get a good sounding kit with appropriate mixing.

However, at the end of the day my kick's and snare's do sound somewhat weak. Now what I would usually do is to just mute the kick and snare from superior and use NI Battery or any other sampler to trigger some new snare's and kick's. I have some good sounding samples, yet I always tend to layer about 3 snares on top of each other with different dynamics, eq's etc and basically sculpt my own snares in this way. Of course it will not be multilevel, must most of the time you will have a limiter on your kick and snare to make it sound the same throughout (when not using rolls etc.) so my own created maxed out sample works fine for this.

My question now however is, I want to record a nice metal pseudo-acoustic drum. So the idea was to just get a nice sounding kit together in Superior, write the midi part and then afterwards have only the kick and snare replaced. I was looking into drumagog. This will do it automatically right?

However since I have all the midi information, what would be the point? What would I gain? Instead of just muting the kick and snare from the superior kick and triggering my own made kick's and snare's from battery, what advantage is there from using drumagog? Will it integrate into Superior Drummer 2?

What is the workflow, arrangement, approach like ? How do you usually get about this?

Best regards,
Jason

A quick followup.
Can I use drumagog on the master drum track to replace snare and kick or do I have to route snare and kick to separate tracks and use an instance of drumagog on each?
Thanks!!

Right so drumagog triggers form the midi as well. Might be time to checkout the trial of drumagog.

I hear a lot of people on these forums using SD2 as main drums but then replacing the Snare and Kick using Slates' samples, and mostly using drumagog. What exactly is the point of this? Why don't they just record everything in SD2 apart from the kick and snare and just use battery or even the sequencer itself to trigger a different snare and kick using the steve slate samples?

Might need some enlightenment here... :worship:

Drumagog tracks horribly unless you use MIDI, anyways - just trigger it off the midi from Superior.

Oh and if I trigger Drumagog using Midi, then what's the point of paying for drumagog when any sampler/sequencer basically does this for free?

There isn't a point in it. Not to mention when Trigger is on the market and is waaay better.

Personally, I use stock snares in Superior a lot, the kicks are pretty much useless though. I just stick aptrigga or trigger on the kick track, (when writing or tracking), because it's a pain in the ass to write a seperate midi file for the kick every time.

There isn't a point in it. Not to mention when Trigger is on the market and is waaay better.

Personally, I use stock snares in Superior a lot, the kicks are pretty much useless though. I just stick aptrigga or trigger on the kick track, (when writing or tracking), because it's a pain in the ass to write a seperate midi file for the kick every time.

What exactly is aptrigga? Do you put it on the kick track inside superior or on the midi kick track?

Right now what I have done with drumagog.

I wrote my kick midi and sent it to superior. Then I duplicated that midi and sent it to drumagog to trigger another kick and blend it together with the original. Nothing I can't do with battery, and I think that for this specific job battery is vastly superior, so I won't be needing drumagog.

However explain please what you mean when you say you stick trigger or aptrigga on the kick track. I would like to know since doubling the kick midi is a pain and can lead to problems when you change stuff ..

Thanks!

Ok, let's move a little off topic here. I want SSD sounds.
Two options.

-Stick with my Superior setup and replace kicks and snares using Trigger (about 150 USD I think) which includes some good Slate samples
-Buy SSD EX (99 USD). Questions, does this EX include the Metallica drum kit? There is no info as to what exactly is included in this. I also heard talks of people praising snare14 and kick12 or something. How do I know which ones are where?

What would you suggest? Trigger or SSD EX (bear in mind I already have Superior) but if I can do all my job with SSD EX then I would consider the move. (Also I am a longtime Kontakt user, so obviously prefer SSD EX is rolled out...)

Many thanks!!

Ok, let's move a little off topic here. I want SSD sounds.
Two options.

-Stick with my Superior setup and replace kicks and snares using Trigger (about 150 USD I think) which includes some good Slate samples
-Buy SSD EX (99 USD). Questions, does this EX include the Metallica drum kit? There is no info as to what exactly is included in this. I also heard talks of people praising snare14 and kick12 or something. How do I know which ones are where?

What would you suggest? Trigger or SSD EX (bear in mind I already have Superior) but if I can do all my job with SSD EX then I would consider the move. (Also I am a longtime Kontakt user, so obviously prefer SSD EX is rolled out...)

Many thanks!!

there have been several threads about what is included with EX

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/equipment/621966-slate-ex.html

What exactly is aptrigga? Do you put it on the kick track inside superior or on the midi kick track?

Right now what I have done with drumagog.

I wrote my kick midi and sent it to superior. Then I duplicated that midi and sent it to drumagog to trigger another kick and blend it together with the original. Nothing I can't do with battery, and I think that for this specific job battery is vastly superior, so I won't be needing drumagog.

However explain please what you mean when you say you stick trigger or aptrigga on the kick track. I would like to know since doubling the kick midi is a pain and can lead to problems when you change stuff ..

Thanks!

Kick track = multiout from superior, one track is dedicated to the kick drum.

aptrigga = drum replacement program.

How do you trigger drumagog from superior drummer 2.0 BUT by midi?

I can only seem to work out how to get it to trigger from an audio track

kinda OT:
metal foundry, i like the cymbals, kicks, snares and toms are awful.
maybe you should look out for the evil drums SDX, it was on sale some time ago, maybe the deal is still going on.

cheers
S.