Compressor for bass

Sonic75

Oct 17, 2006
Salerno
Hi,
which type of compressor do you use for really speed bass parts to keep them firm through the song?

Plug in or outboard, anything that works really well!

I have the distressor that is ok but I would like to know what do you use!

Thank you

:devil:

Massey L2007 limiter..

also, a tip I got from someone on here regarding compressing bass in the mix. Use a multiband compressor and really nail down everything below 250Hz. I use Ozone for this, fast attack, 30:1 ratio. Really helps keep the bottom end of the mix even.

also, a tip I got from someone on here regarding compressing bass in the mix. Use a multiband compressor and really nail down everything below 250Hz. I use Ozone for this, fast attack, 30:1 ratio. Really helps keep the bottom end of the mix even.

On the master or just on the bass track?

On the master or just on the bass track?

I read that back and yes I could have worded it better.

on the bass track.. It helps keep the bottom end constant. You know how you sometimes get holes in the mix when the bass guitar plays an octave above or another string and the bottom end drops out, it really helps with that..

Massey L2007 limiter..

A bass that'd never stop humming? :D

10:1 would be a limiter. Anything above that is usually labeled 'Over'.

I wouldn't go past 10:1. Also, I might process 120hz to 250hz separately.

I don't think it's rational to pop in Ozone anywhere else except the masterbuss. It's just eating up your resources. Reaper's multiband can do a similar job at less than half of the cpu cost.

I don't think it's rational to pop in Ozone anywhere else except the masterbuss. It's just eating up your resources. Reaper's multiband can do a similar job at less than half of the cpu cost.

both good points.. Other Multi band comps are available. I would use Ozone simply out of habit, and I would use the EQ and enhancer sections at the same time.

for a multi band comp only, it maybe overkill.... :D

1176, LA-2, L1.

Or 1176, 1176, L1.

Or Stillwell Rocket, L1.

As long as there is 0 dynamic left, you're good to go.

PS. You don't necessarily need to multiband the lows if you split your bass track up into low/high/grit. Just compress the lows individually before they mix with the others, then compress them all together, and then maybe see where you're at with pulling out the multiband.

This is misleading, 10:1 is the minimum to be considered limiting. Anything over it would be considered, limiting, anything under, compression. Generally speaking. People use much higher.

For me on bass, I'm often using somewhere around 8:1 while tracking, and then 20:10 ITB after with faster attack/release than when tracking.