COMPUTER'S CHOICE: let's let spotify's algorithms expand brave murder may

einride

your best friend
Feb 29, 2008
when you create a playlist on spotify, spotify analyzes the contents and recommends "similar" stuff to add to the playlist based on Big Data AI Machine Learning Algorithms and other skynet buzzword shit

let's see how right it is. i will pick twenty albums (excluding duplicate bands and pre-2010 stuff, i think) that THE COMPUTER thinks should be friends with the 64 we've already nominated, and then you can discuss if you've heard of them, if you like them, et c. great thread material cookin right here.

aosoth - arrow in heart
nechochwen - heart of akamon
falls of rauros - vigilance perennial
mare cognitum - luminiferous aether
blood of kingu - dark star on the right horn of the crescent moon

horrendous - ecdysis
evilfeast - elegies of the stellar wind
wode - servants of the countercosmos
nachtmystium - the world we left behind
krypts - remnants of expansion

craft - white noise and black metal
akhlys - the dreaming i
zhrine - unortheta
portal - vexovoid
misþyrming - söngvar elds og óreiðu

sulphur aeon - gateway to the antisphere
hoth - oathbreaker
impetous ritual - blight upon martyred sentience
morbus chron - sweven
wayfarer - world's blood

DISCUSS

OR DON'T

SEE IF I CARE

Reactions: Reign in Acai
Out of ALL the albums mentioned the one that I see lauded from hell to high water is "akhlys - the dreaming."

If we add these albums to the leave-ins, were already at a 100. Which is fine by me, as I can listen to new albums until im dead. Maybe we can set these aside, and you do the same after we pitched another 64, to create an all AI bracket?

Or we can give the AI a place at the table and allot them a set amount of picks? Say 6.

Only problem with that is narrowing the list down.

that is one trendy AI. I own three of these, enjoyed a few more, don't care about a handful and don't know half. I'm sure Erik would solve the riddle faster than I can figure out how to play the intro of "Falling Snow" on a xylophone.

Or we can give the AI a place at the table and allot them a set amount of picks? Say 6.

I say amen to that, fun way to spice it up a notch

If you draft an Impetuous Ritual album for the greater exasperation of EVERYONE (but me), make it Unholy Congregation of Hypocritical Ambivalence, which is at least mildly listenable in places.

as for me, the only one i've heard front to back is morbus chron "sweven" and its definitely aight and pretty creative but not solid enough to be top 5 of the decade material

heard bits and pieces off a handful of others, nothing that really stuck

main riff off "arrow in heart", the song, by aosoth goes hard as a mf tho

when you create a playlist on spotify, spotify analyzes the contents and recommends "similar" stuff to add to the playlist based on Big Data AI Machine Learning Algorithms and other skynet buzzword shit

let's see how right it is. i will pick twenty albums (excluding duplicate bands and pre-2010 stuff, i think) that THE COMPUTER thinks should be friends with the 64 we've already nominated, and then you can discuss if you've heard of them, if you like them, et c. great thread material cookin right here.

nechochwen - heart of akamon
falls of rauros - vigilance perennial
mare cognitum - luminiferous aether
blood of kingu - dark star on the right horn of the crescent moon

evilfeast - elegies of the stellar wind
wode - servants of the countercosmos
nachtmystium - the world we left behind
krypts - remnants of expansion

craft - white noise and black metal
akhlys - the dreaming i
zhrine - unortheta
portal - vexovoid

sulphur aeon - gateway to the antisphere
hoth - oathbreaker
impetous ritual - blight upon martyred sentience
morbus chron - sweven
wayfarer - world's blood
Horrendous - ecdysis is obviously the top of all these. Probably should have voted for the bracket.

These two are pretty great:
aosoth - arrow in heart
misþyrming - söngvar elds og óreiðu

All of the other albums seem like the favorites of "extreme metal journalists" who pick out things that sound pretty cool on the first few listens then they put the bands on the top lists and people listen. Though Mare Cognitum always does some weird shit, but album wasn't for me.

Pandora does the same thing but the algorithm is different
does Pandora pick out music you'd enjoy better or worse than Spottify??