Conceptualizing the New Album

GabeSuspyre

Battery
Feb 24, 2009
As I stay awake to finish conceptualizing ideas for the new album, I'm getting more and more excited to see the final result of Suspyre's new material. Gregg's writing is kinda like a shopping spree of material of which I feel there are no boundaries - a drummer's dream, right? :headbang:

It's difficult to remove yourself from a project of which you're so closely involved, but I find myself listening to the MIDI tracks for enjoyment. Trust me, I hate listening to MIDI files. But, when I'm bopping down Bleecker Street and choose to play a song on my iPod that has the aesthetic value of a Nintendo game, I get a good feeling that I'm a fan of the composition. (Don't get me wrong, I love the theme of Contra just as much as the next guy, I'm just sayin'...)

In summary, we're working very hard and we all believe that this will be a high-quality product. One drum session down and (probably) two more to go!

I'm recording video footage of the drum sessions. As soon as I figure out which video editing software I want, I'll be posting some video updates.

It's very hard for me to separate myself from the music, especially because I write the majority of it. I am usually more concerned if I have playable parts written for everyone, if I've appropriately assigned all the lyrics, have my motives developed, etc, than if I personally like the music. I have a tendency to write ridiculous drum or keyboard parts that require the player to grow an extra limb, so I have to proofread everything to the point that it's tedious.

But yesterday, I was snowed in the whole day so I put on the MIDIs and just listened to them. It's now safe to say this may be my favorite album so far. I spent a couple of hours practicing the new songs too, and they're really fun to play. Can't wait to continue recording...wish there was an eighth day a week to do so!

It's very hard for me to separate myself from the music, especially because I write the majority of it. I am usually more concerned if I have playable parts written for everyone, if I've appropriately assigned all the lyrics, have my motives developed, etc, than if I personally like the music. I have a tendency to write ridiculous drum or keyboard parts that require the player to grow an extra limb, so I have to proofread everything to the point that it's tedious.

But yesterday, I was snowed in the whole day so I put on the MIDIs and just listened to them. It's now safe to say this may be my favorite album so far. I spent a couple of hours practicing the new songs too, and they're really fun to play. Can't wait to continue recording...wish there was an eighth day a week to do so!

I'm still enjoying listening to them. I'm excited to see what comes out of recording.

Damn, Gregg, that's a helluva statement saying it's your favorite so far. But I suppose if an artist doesn't like the material it doesn't get recorded. Well, either way I am excited to hear what insanity comes next. Suspyre has been consitently good so far and I expect that trend to continue.

Insanity is good!

I wonder when (and hope that) medical science catches up to your style of writing drum fills and keyboard parts that require an extra limb, Gregg! :D

Insanity is good!

I wonder when (and hope that) medical science catches up to your style of writing drum fills and keyboard parts that require an extra limb, Gregg! :D

I've resorted to playing some of the parts with my teeth. :)

I've resorted to playing some of the parts with my teeth. :)

We need pictures of that!

Your forehead on the china while your right toe on your left foot hits the left bassdrum pedal, rest of the foot on the hi-hat, right foot on the right bassdrum pedal, and an extra drum stick in the teeth? :p

When are we gonna have a release date announced? D: I have high hopes for this album, as I always have with this band. It's 2010, you guys gotta set the mark for the decade to come. I believe you could do it, too. With the exposure you guys have been getting in the last couple of years, a breakout is definitely possible.

When are we gonna have a release date announced? D: I have high hopes for this album, as I always have with this band. It's 2010, you guys gotta set the mark for the decade to come. I believe you could do it, too. With the exposure you guys have been getting in the last couple of years, a breakout is definitely possible.

My goal is to have it done by Christmas, but that may be overly optimistic. Our other albums took about a year from the recording of the first note to the shrink-wrapping and arrival of the discs; we started drums in January 2010 for this one. I've been keeping a log on how recording's going so I can better track the progress and get a more definite date as we get some more stuff laid down.