concerning the latest issue of LOFTP

I think the comment on there being multiple versions of the same songs was a bit strong. These are live sets Maiden fans have been gagging for for years. I agree that putting them all into an overpriced (~$99 retail according to Chipster) boxed set is overkill. But as long as Maiden fans buy anything Sanctuary throw at them, they'll keep throwing it. Blame the fans more than anything...

The rest of the issue... not read it yet :) It only arrived this morning. I'm not sure of the retro review, though -- I just don't like them. All well and good profiling classic past albums that may have played an important role in the scene, but there's so much more great NEW music that deserves profiling, I hate to see column inches wasted to profiling old material. But that's just me, I'm sure :)

Originally posted by Mark
Blame the fans more than anything...

They are a problem, but Sanctuary itself should take some of this promotional effort and put it into newer bands, or at least different bands than the same ones who have had their shot at major label status and are now in indieland peddling material that is a pale reflection of what made them famous in the first place.

Maiden is still major label, but they don't need all this shit out, and nobody actually needs to even hear all this shit. Nobody, and I mean nobody, needs to have as many live albums from a band as they have studio albums.

And all you bootleg collectors, pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft.

Sanctuary aren't your usual record label though - their outlook is as a company that's built itself around the collection of intellectual properties (ie back catalogues - see their purchase of Castle for instance), and then marketing it in various formats. Why else do they sign on older acts to Metal-Is? So they can eventually peddle their older stuff in some way or another.

Although I'm assuming the Maiden boxset isn't being released by Sanctuary per se (tho correct me if I'm wrong), it's obvious it's this mindset that has led Sanctuary to push out the Maiden wagon again and again.

Why?

To feed the slobbering masses who will - as one fan put it - buy a piece of shit if it had the Maiden logo on it.

I was actually excited about this release when I was first told about it at Sanctuary last February (2001), but it seems it didn't end up as what I thought it would...

Mark hit the nail on the head.

Well, I was initially in talks with Sanctuary regarding my idea for Elitist Records. After a couple of meetings it soon became clear that they weren't, as a company, even remotely interested in developing new acts. With the financial muscle and distribution set up they've got behind them, they could easily compete with the likes of Nuclear Blast. Unfortunately, they're just a bunch of suits peddling yesterday's news.