Concert camera...

eppst1

Mar 18, 2002
Ohio
www.eppst1.com
I'm looking to purchase a new personal camera and I was wondering what some of you use for concernt photo taking (and non-concert photo taking). I'm not looking for an SLR, but more in the lines of a point and shoot that takes decent low light pics. I currently have a Cannon PowerShot S40 that I love, but it's time for an upgrade.

About the only "required" features are an optical zoom greater than 3x and the ability to take action shots.

Anybody have some recommendations, I would love to hear them.

Thanks in advance.

Ed

I recently upgraded my Nikon D70 to a D300 which both happen to be a SLR, if you're focussing on getting a camera that allows you to shoot at gigs (without using a flash) it's hard to find a compact camera that gives you the options to manualy set the shutterspeed and/or aperture settings.
What lacking at concerts is light, light and more light, what you need for photography is light, you can compensate much of this with higher iso, lower shutter speed and lenses with wide aperture.
Last week we saw Symphony X with Circus Maximus and Dreamscape, most of the time even a 1.8 lens and iso 2000 was hardly enough to get a decent pic.
If you only want to use it for concert shooting, get you a SLR with a few good lenses, otherwise get a compact one that gives you the opportunity to manualy set the controls and at least a low light lens.

H.